Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front foglight bulb change

1. Default Front foglight bulb change

My nearside front foglight bulb has blown and I'm trying to replace it.

I've got the bulb spec, but am struggling to actually figure out how to get into the unit to replace it. The owner's manual is curiously silent on the matter, and the workshop manual I have is for the US, where of course they don't have fog (or something).

I had a bit of a poke around the front of the car at the weekend - there are a couple of screws that don't seem to do much, and a rusty-looking bolt that I can't seem to shift.

Does that rusty bolt hold the whole unit in and the bulb get replaced from behind? Do I just need a torrent of WD40 and a bigger breaker bar?

Blog Entries

I've already removed the fog light unit from my NSX years ago and the other one I'm servicing at the moment is the face lifted model so without the fog light.

If I remember correctly, there was only one short bolt at the outboard holding the entire fog light body at the vertical bracket. I think I used 12mm socket.

For supporting the inboard side, there is a metal tab attached to the light body and it is inserted to the slit on the lower skirt of the front bumper.

So, after removing the single bolt, you need to slide out the metal tab from the slit while disconnecting the connector at the back.
    This will let the entire light assy off the car.
    Then, replace the H3 bulb.

Kaz

3. Default

Thanks Kaz, that's spot-on. Will get out a bigger set of sockets and a can of WD40!

I managed to replace the side light bulbs from the inside (remove headlight screws and tilt skywards) as the lamp screws are hopelessly corroded.

I don't know if you might reach the fogs in the same fashion.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

5. Default

Well, it appears I have a different problem.

With the use of a bigger spanner I have released the bolt, removed the fog light unit, and replaced the bulb.

Not only do I not have a working fog light, but now I've noticed that the sidelight isn't working either.

To be honest, not sure if the sidelight was working previously, or if it's something I've managed to disable during my fumblings.

Do they share a common harness somewhere that I might have dislodged? Any other suggestions?

You might have slightly irritated it and either the push-in lamp has come adrift, or promptly blown. I did the latter re-installing a Not an Ashtray lamp in the Leg End.

I'd check the obvious first as co-incidence isn't necessarily causation.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Blog Entries

When you switch On the front fog light, it will also trigger the tail light relay resulting in both the front side lights and the rear side/tail lights powered up even if the main light sw at the steering stalk was in Off position.
    This will also result in cabin illumination being lighted up.

There are several relays and fuses involved but one thing to note is that different fuses are in use for each side of the tail lights.
    Very unlikely for all of the small light bulbs at the front and the rear to fail at the same time unless you didn't check them for months.

So, try the obvious thing first.

Put the main light sw in small/side light position.

Check the front side lights as well as the tail lights.

If none of the lights work and you don't see any cabin illuminations, then your issue is either the tail light relay or at the upper stream of it.

If only one side of the tail light works, then check the 2 x 15A fuse inside the pentagonal/octagonal main relay box under the bonnet.

You may as well check the main/dipped beam operation.

Probably something very simple or much more complicated.

Kaz

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Graves View Post
    You might have slightly irritated it and either the push-in lamp has come adrift, or promptly blown. I did the latter re-installing a Not an Ashtray lamp in the Leg End.

I'd check the obvious first as co-incidence isn't necessarily causation.
    Wise words - fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    When you switch On the front fog light, it will also trigger the tail light relay resulting in both the front side lights and the rear side/tail lights powered up even if the main light sw at the steering stalk was in Off position.
    This will also result in cabin illumination being lighted up.

There are several relays and fuses involved but one thing to note is that different fuses are in use for each side of the tail lights.
    Very unlikely for all of the small light bulbs at the front and the rear to fail at the same time unless you didn't check them for months.

So, try the obvious thing first.

Put the main light sw in small/side light position.

Check the front side lights as well as the tail lights.

If none of the lights work and you don't see any cabin illuminations, then your issue is either the tail light relay or at the upper stream of it.

If only one side of the tail light works, then check the 2 x 15A fuse inside the pentagonal/octagonal main relay box under the bonnet.

You may as well check the main/dipped beam operation.

Probably something very simple or much more complicated.

Kaz
    Kaz,

With the main light switch in the sidelight position, I get cabin illumination, both tail lights and the drivers side sidelight only.

With the fog light button only, I get cabin illumination, both tail lights, the drivers side sidelight, the drivers side foglight and the rear foglight.

Both dipped beam headlights work, and both main beam headlights work.

The indicators in the front combination lights work on both sides.

I *think* there was a period when I knew the fog light was not working, but that both sidelights were working.

I need to get a long screwdriver, remove the combination light, and check the sidelight bulb.

Fingers crossed that I just have some corrosion on the foglight connector and that it's coincidence that the sidelight has gone . . .

Blog Entries

Thank you for the feedback.
    So, based on what you wrote so far, the relays and fuses are fine and just faulty L-side fog light + L-side small/side light.

Bit too late but I actually found my old blog…

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?544-Preparation-01

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?1136-Final-Touch

You may have rusty GND terminal or intermittent connection somewhere.
    If you have multimeter, you can check whether you are getting 12V or not at the connector when the fog light sw is activated.
    You can also apply GND and 12V at the fog light unit itself for a quick check.

For the side light in the front combination lamp, you may struggle popping out the lamp assy.

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?9-Q...vice-on-My-NSX

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...6378#post76378

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...6379#post76379

If the worst comes, you can replace the bulb without removing the lamp assy.
    You can access it from behind by removing the head light unit (after removing the head light cover, only 4 bolts to be removed).
    Also, may be able to access it by partially removing the wheel arch liner???

Back to the garage now as I'm in the middle of finishing the health check and looking at how to remove the O2 sensor mounted on the 90deg fouler.....

Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 23-11-2018 at 07:26 PM. Reason: extra info

10. Default

Thanks Kaz, great information as always.

I have a multimeter, so will test the voltage at the connectors when I can gain access.

From looking at the headlight removal instructions, which it sounds scary it only requires the removal of four screws and four bolts - not so bad, if it needs doing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast