Thread: 1991 Honda NSX (import) help needed

1. Question 1991 Honda NSX (import) help needed

We are currently looking after an imported Honda NSX for a customer which has recently failed its MOT due to lack of a rear fog lamp. Does anyone have experience of the correct lamp and switch that would have been fitted to the UK version. Car can be viewed here

UK cars had different rear lamps with one of the reversing lights now red..... note, JDM rear lamp lenses are a darker red than pretty much everywhere else so cant just change one side!! Replacing the offside reversing bulb with a high intensity red led bulb will do the trick, and it will still look STD JDM, but you'll have to tweak the wiring and add a switch of course. The oem switch usually goes in the panel behind the gear selector... It shouldn't have got past the import sva without a fog lamp!
    Last edited by britlude; 10-10-2018 at 09:03 AM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    It shouldn't have got past the import sva without a fog lamp!
    My thought as well. My first checks would be that both reverse/fog light bulbs are present and work, and to see whether a fog light switch has been wired in in such a way that the MOT tester missed it.

if its a jdm import, they didn't have one fitted as standard, so an additional fog light unit, or re-assigning the offside reversing light with a red bulb is the usual fix...

you could always hack a hole in the bumper like they did with the gen5 prelude!!!!! lol
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

5. Default

UK cars had different rear lamps with one of the reversing lights now red..... note, JDM rear lamp lenses are a darker red than pretty much everywhere else so cant just change one -side!! Replacing the offside reversing bulb with a high intensity red led bulb will do the trick, and it will still look STD JDM, but you'll have to tweak the wiring and add a switch of course. The oem switch usually goes in the panel behind the gear selector... It shouldn't have got past the import sva without a fog lamp!
    hi! Sorry, but thats not true. The Euro 1991-2001 has the same color than the JDM 1991-2001 have. Only difference is the extra light bulb fitting for a 3rd light and on LHD Euro the fog light is on the left side and on RHD Euro cars the fog light is on the right side (always instead of the 2nd reverse light). So yes, simply buy a UK Euro spec tail lamp. To use the extra bulb, simply drill a hole into the rear housing and stuck in the rubber fuse with the little bulb. Then your oem JDM/Acura wire harness will work (JDM and Acura tail harness is the same).

Of course you need to make your own wiring to the rear wire harness. At the light connector you need to reverse a pin, so you dont have power on the fog light when you go into reverse gear.

Here you see a comparisson between LHD Euro and JDM. Same color and the additional plug for the 3rd light.

btw: I stock the tail light with new gaskets
    www.nsx-parts.com
    Christian
    Last edited by austrian type-r; 18-10-2018 at 06:30 AM.
    Largest stocking of used NSX parts in Europe & many service parts in stock. parts inquiry: office@atr-racing.com / phone +43 676 5458032

Ah, so it's only the US market that has different (lighter) red lenses??? Handy when you have a selection to compare on the shelf I obviously spend too much time going through NSXPrime!!!!

So if I get a left hand EU, right hand UK, and fit stealth reversing lights elsewhere, I can have a complete red rear without the reversing lights spoiling the continuity.... Hmmmm
    Last edited by britlude; 18-10-2018 at 05:22 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

7. Default

HAHA, YEAH, that would be unicorn, nobody has this I am sure. TWO red foglights and a hidden reverse light. :o

but: the Euro tails are about 100-150 Euro more € than the JDMs.

Yes, only Acura has brighter tails. After 2002, when the facelift shows up, all country specs have same brightness.

Ah, so it's only the US market that has different (lighter) red lenses??? Handy when you have a section to compare on the shelf I obviously spend too much time going through NSXPrime!!!!

So if I get a left hand EU, right hand UK, and fit stealth reversing lights elsewhere, I can have a complete red rear without the reversing lights spoiling the continuity.... Hmmmm
    Largest stocking of used NSX parts in Europe & many service parts in stock. parts inquiry: office@atr-racing.com / phone +43 676 5458032