Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barn Find - C30A3

Default Barn Find - C30A3

I found a C30A3 engine which, as the owner says, has been standing for 20 years. I would like to bring it back to life. I would like an experienced forum colleague with tips...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silnik.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	13550

Name:	Silnik 3.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	13552

Name:	Silnik 4.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	13553

Name:	Silnik 5.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	13554
    Last edited by ozon02; 24-08-2018 at 04:52 PM.

OMG...what is the owner asking for it? Maybe it's better to part it out than taking the risk. NSX engines don't go bad normally (except the literally over-blown turbo and compressor ones).

Name:	Silnik 2.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	13551

Name:	Silnik 6.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	13555

Name:	Silnik 7.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	13556

Another Pics
    Last edited by ozon02; 24-08-2018 at 04:53 PM.

No oil film? Hard to tell how much moisture went into the engine...Do you have an endoskop?

I would like to start the adventure with this engine - in future I would like to make the Eng Refresh in my NSX. I removed the valve cover in there are no rust, I looked in the cylinder bores.(with Borescope) no rust only deposit on head pistons. I sprained the oil drain screw - unfortunately I do not see the connecting rods (splash guard).
    I have not turned the crankshaft yet!
    I should pour the pistons with the chemical preparation -Engine flush(I do not know the condition of the piston rings)
    Valve stem -spray with WD40?

6. 26-08-2018, 07:56 AM

7. 26-08-2018, 08:01 AM

8. Default

If the engine was not turned by hand the past 20 years, i would do following, unless there is not much rust on the cylinder wall, etc.

First before turning the engine, put 2cl oil into each cylinder thru the hole of the spark plugs. Turn it a few times, but put the engine in a position so the piston of each bank show straight up. That way oil gets all around the wall and piston ring.

1) new timing belt, tensoiner, water pump, LMAs, 2 valve cover gasket set, 4 cam plugs and 4 seals. 6 spark plugs

1a) check if both crank seals are dry.

2) get a new crank pulley + shield

3) get refreshed oem injectors

4) get the oil pan off and clean it. Put back with a new seal.

After 1000km driving change oil again.

I fired a 10 year and a 7 year old engine, but the 10 year old engine was cranked by hand 1time per year. The 7 years engine not. It was in an damahed nsx and after just an oil change i cranked it and fired immediatly on 3, 4 and then on 5 cylinders. 1 cyl had a glocked injetor.

I have all parts which you need in stock, also if you like to put the engine completely appart to put new piston rings, valve steams, etc.

Thanks
    Christian

Thank you Christian,
    if anyone but Christian started the old engine and can share the experience...

P.S.
    What is the force (newtons) without the spark plug needed for the rotation crankshaft

With a normal 1/2 maybe 1-2 kg.

Hi Christian,

when you recommend that the engine be a sort of sideways so the pistons are vertical so de oil is all arround them, then the other
    Bank will be completly horizontal and the pistons will move without any oil...

if you focus on one side of the V bank, you neglect the other... how can you address this?

what about:
    - having the engine in the normal position
    - remove camshafts and rockers
    - have the valves stuck in the close position
    - fill the pistons completly with oil up to the spark hole
    - slowly hand crank it?

i hope i'm not saying anything dumb, but i tried to follow good old common sense.

Thanks,
    Nuno

Hi Nuno,

Maybe I didn’t understand it right, but I think that Christian recommendation was before turning the engine to allow oil to reach the full piston perimeter on all 6 pistons. The way you recomend would be even more on the safe side...

Quote Originally Posted by UnhuZ View Post
    Hi Christian,

when you recommend that the engine be a sort of sideways so the pistons are vertical so de oil is all arround them, then the other
    Bank will be completly horizontal and the pistons will move without any oil...

if you focus on one side of the V bank, you neglect the other... how can you address this?

what about:
    - having the engine in the normal position
    - remove camshafts and rockers
    - have the valves stuck in the close position
    - fill the pistons completly with oil up to the spark hole
    - slowly hand crank it?

i hope i'm not saying anything dumb, but i tried to follow good old common sense.

Thanks,
    Nuno

13. 31-08-2018, 06:17 AM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast