Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: oem ignition coils discontinued ??

You might first have a look before you order them if they have 2 or 3 pins. OBD2 was a little bit later in Europe...

2. Default

how do I know if mine are 2 pin or 3 pin ?

Disconnect one of them or you might be able to see if it has two or three wires to each coil.

Blog Entries

Based on all of your old posts plus the recent one in another thread, for the future reference, could you let us know the followings?

Is this your NSX, family's or someone else's ?

What is the first 6 digits after 'JHMNA1' of the VIN?
    Please DO NOT post the full VIN on public website.
    Only need the 'aaaabb' portion of the VIN format as follows and no need to tell the rest such as 'xxx'.
    JHMNA1aaaabbxxx.

Thank you.

Kaz

5. Default

Hi Kaz

My Nsx midnite purple t top auto
    JHMNA1270XT000XXX

regards
    Arfan Butt

Blog Entries

Hi, Arfan.
    Thank you for sharing the info.

Your NSX is 99 spec, NSX-T, AT and it doesn't have the MDU (Misfire Detection Unit) so your IG coil is 2pin style.

You seemed to have solved the other issue of not being able to start the engine and probably too late on this occasion but for the future reference regarding the 2pin style IG coil, here is the options;

1. OEM IG coil
    OEM 2pin style IG coils is still available but bit pricey even if ordered from Japan.

The electrical spec is the same between the Front and Rear bank IG coils so they are interchangeable but the vent hole position has 180deg offset between the two banks.

2. OEM IG coil but in aftermarket box
    You can get Intermotor UF91 through Rockauto at very reasonable price.

I didn't test it on the IG spark dyno or cut it through to check the slice model but checking the material used, I'm 99.9% sure it's the same OEM one in a different box.
    Very likely to be 'B-ranked' parts due to cosmetic reason.

There are many owners using it in US and I've also installed it for several owners;
    http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?206...Hyd-sys-etc-05

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?206...Hyd-sys-etc-06

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?2289-Busy-days-02

If you are keeping it NA and as the compression ratio is not high on our NSX and from the point of CPU power/INT job timing, you won't see benefit by changing the dowel time, spark energy, etc.
    If you look at the shape of the piston head, you will have better chance of getting extra gain by improving the spray pattern of the INJ.

3. Convert OEM 3pin style IG coil
    I haven't looked into this in detail because JDM never had 3pin style IG coil throughout its production years but since it's being used on the NA1 LEV model NSX outside of Japan,
    the spark energy, waveform, dowel, etc characteristics seemed to be the same as the 2pin style one.
    3pin style has larger head and extra feature such as voltage measurement, ionised current sensing or other patent related methods for the misfire detection so worth reviewing this conversion for the future.

You will get all these 6 x 3pin style IG coil for just over US$100.

You will need the later spec IG coil cover (it's already on your 99 spec).

Haven't looked into the terminal spec yet.

Kaz

7. Default

Thanks for the info Kaz...
    I sanded down the rusty plates on the ignition coil as I thought that was the issue on the car but it came down to a blown Acg fuse.

I honestly don't know what should be done on the car I have a brief list
    all the belts (aux, alternator and timing belts)

, water pump, crankshaft pulley and coolant

Brake fluid

Air filter

Transmission fluid

Fuel filter

Valve clearances

suspension possibly

respray and gaskets etc

but am hoping you can fit me in at some point for your health check service so I can begin hopefully via you if you have the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12