Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: been chasing a gearbox issue....

Blog Entries

Hi, Jonathan.
    Very interesting.

Did you feel the looseness with the female terminal at the mating connector of the AT controller?

On few occasions, I found the female terminal broken inside the connector due to moisture but not the vibration.
    So, if it happened at the mating connector of the AT controller that is fully secured to the firewall, that will be the first case hearing this type of failure mode on mainly street driven NSX.

With the vibration, for example the connectors inside the race eng dyno, even with the use of the MIL spec connectors with gold plated contacts/terminals, if they were not secured, the contacts could start showing the black fretting oxidation within 12 months.

Most of the times on our NSX, the female terminals were damaged due to the moisture starting the patina corrosion followed by the spring loaded section breakage.
    Already happened at the connectors behind the boot carpet, the lock/unlock sw at the door card, ABS solenoid connector (despite being WPC type), etc.

Interested in hearing the long term feedback.

Kaz

hi Kaz,

yes the terminal in the AT mating connector felt loose compare to the ones beside it, felt like a spring had gone soft and didn't want to grip on a test pin.

touch wood, it's all still behaving as it should, and it's only done that since i replaced the actual crimped terminal in the mating connector.

the fault, as far as i could determine, was only caused when braking and going over a bump/manhole cover in the road... i learned where the fault was likely to occur on my work commute.... and learnt to avoid them.. not i'm hunting them out, to confirm the cure..... lol!
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Blog Entries

Thank you Jonathan for the info.
    Don't have access to AT controller but probably using the hybrid connector from AMP (now TE), Sumitomo, JAE, Yazaki or something else and for sensor signal, probably 040 terminal in use.

Never heard of similar issue on connectors at the firewall but just like the Main Relay, long term vibration could be part of the cause.
    I think I have spare terminals so one day, I better go through the terminals at the mating connectors of the ECU as the car has already covered nearly 160K miles now.

Kaz

hmmmm. engine end of the throttle pot wiring returned to stock, and 3 days later the problem returned..... so back to the piggy back wiring i fitted.. surely i couldn't have 2 faults on one wire??? we shall see if it happens again..

i HATE intermittent faults
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12