Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto vs Manual

Default Auto vs Manual

Coming up to 18 years of Auto NSX ownership . It puzzles me that Plans value an Auto 20 k less than a manual . Generally when I experience a manual gearbox car the word quaint comes to mind .
    97 Sebring Silver Ex Honda show car.

Not sure what you'd like to say. I'd say to each his own. Prices are determined by supply and demand. It looks like a higher percentage of 1st owners ordered the car with AT, a lot of them got sold (not suggesting due to the AT) and now potential buyers are looking more for MT. An AT could be a good entry ticket for someone into the NSX world though.

It depends on the character of the car and what transmission will suit that best / how the transmission will change the character.

The old 4-speed torque converter highlights the NSX's GT credentials above it's sports (super) car credentials. If that's what someone is after, then it works. If someone wants more interaction (for me the auto robs the car of a level of interaction and control), then it doesn't work for them.

The (current!) market for the NSX seems to favour the manual, hence the price difference. Different cars suit different gearboxes more (how many old-style Jags or Mercs do you see with manuals?!?) ...or perhaps the buying groups of those cars gravitate towards a certain type of 'box...

(It's a similar argument, albeit with different criteria, with Porsche and the 991.1 GT3RS - they specced it only with a DSG because of the engine's characteristics. Doing so highlighted the track-animal nature of the car even further, but for some robbed it of some road-going interaction, particularly at <10/10ths. Porsche appear to have agreed as they're offering the new one with both 'boxes, to give customers the choice. Be interesting to see there in the future which cars are worth more...)
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

I think another factor is that a lot of the JDM imports in recent years at least seem to have been autos so availability and choice has been higher.
    [SIGPIC]

www.nsxclub.co.uk

2001 NA2 Imola Orange Pearl/Black Leather (Type S evocation)
    2003 NA2 Long Beach Blue/Black Leather (NSX-R evocation)

Non NSX
    Lotus Carlton 30/250

Previous NSX
    2004 NA2-R Championship White/Red Seats 111/150 personal import April 2016 sold 2020
    NA2 2005 NA2 LBB/Grey Leather last 12 car, 2005 Pearl White/Red Leather last 12 car, 2003-T Black/Black, 2003-T Red/Black
    NA1 1996 Type R White/Black 447/483, 2 x 1991 manual, 1993 manual, 1996-T manual, 2002-T F-matic

Blog Entries

Like havoc said, the AT buyers are often more into comfort than speed (and the NSX served both at its time). That might lead to less critical driving and a higher number of "survivors" after such a long period of time.
    We observed that classic and young classic cars in Germany are often AT, especially interesting considering that AT came at a premium and was selected only by a very small number of buyers.

When looking at the raw numbers, the majority of cars where sold in Japan and the USA where AT is by far the most popular choice. Probably several of these factors have created the increased price for an MT NSX today.
    Buying an NSX in Japan it was the same situation. In 2014 the price-up for an MT model was roughly 10.000 Euro (based on an exchange rate of 1:140). Additionally the MT models where not only rare but often heavily tuned. A stock MT very often appeared only in the collectors section ..
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

If compared to German classic cars the NSX has to be compared to the 911. AT in a classic Mercedes is a perfect match but in a 911? I doubt it.

The technical condition of the average AT actually IS better than the average MT. Far less mods on an AT too. But after 20 years an AT requires the same amount of revisions like a MT.

Japan is said to have 50% AT. There has been a trend to change an AT for a MT gearbox after some years because the demand after MT was predominantly.

Not sure if the first buyers were aware of the difference between both transmissions when they ordered an AT back then...

I know of two car collectors who bought a NSX and went with an AT because the price was right. I do not dare to say but both were disappointed by its performance...and that was the first thing they said about the car.

I still regard an AT as the comfortable version of the NSX and if someone is looking for a 'grand tourismo'-like car it fits perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by nicjwin View Post
    Coming up to 18 years of Auto NSX ownership . It puzzles me that Plans value an Auto 20 k less than a manual . Generally when I experience a manual gearbox car the word quaint comes to mind .
    In 1995 the top of the range and most expensive NSX was the Targa auto with F-matic, which paradoxically is now probably the least valuable. With the weather like it is just now, do I care? No.
    ( 7years ownership with a 1995 Targa auto with F-matic)
    1996 NSX-T Auto
    1933 Talbot 105
    2011 Nissan Cube Rider

There are two types of people. Those who extrapolate from incomplete data.

44 of the 80 '90-'05 NSX for sale at the moment on kuruma-ex.jp are AT - the prices aren't much behind the MT cars.
    When it comes to comparison with NA2 / 02+ cars, there isn't much data because most of the manual cars are "price on application" rather than having an asking price.
    As for production numbers, I think I read somewhere that around 40-45% of all JDM NSX left the factories with AT.
    December '99 GH-NA2 110 series - 6AS62 Type S in Monte Carlo Blue Pearl

A few thoughts:

1) Years ago, when the McLaren F1 was launched and Setright was doing a 'Fantasy alternative garage' story, he opted for one manual NSX and one auto NSX. IIRC, the auto was for luxury GT cruising, the manual was for exploiting in the curves.

2) When I saw the Best Motoring videos on the various NSX iterations (standard, modded, Zero, R, etc) I always wanted to see an auto NSX in the mix to see just how far behind it would be. But they never did one. So even for the Japanese market, the auto is second-best for driving fun.

3) UK spec, manual and uncrashed remain The Big Three factors when valuing (non-Type R) NSXs. I think it's always been that way

4) I think the NSX auto box is one of the old-fashioned ones that always changes down at the wrong moment when you are driving enthusiastically. It's my pet hate in with autoboxes; my Lexus LS400 is the same (but I don't drive that car enthusiastically!)

Blog Entries

A quick check on www.goo-net.com lists 66 NSX across Japan (excluding gen. 2).

• 38 are AT, starting at 298 万円 and going up to 1498 万円
    • 28 are MT, starting at 460 万円 and going up to 2760 万円

Compared to 2014 the entry price (AT: 200 万円; 300 万円 MT) rose and the gap between AT and MT widened, it seems.
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast