Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: My Honda battery seems to let go every 2 years. Any suggestions as to why???🤔

Is there anything behind the bulk head I need to check, I really am struggling to think what could be causing this.

Almost time I think to call in one of my old auto electricians me thinks.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

i think you are going to have to pull fuses and relays until you have a pile of them beside the car, be methodical, eliminating circuits until the current drops! there are relays on the bulkhead behind the seats too.... it may get to the point of unplugging ecu's etc, if it can unplug, it'll be unplugged! 3 fuse boxes to play with, plus relays.. take pics before hand just to remind you what goes where!

at least you know why the battery seems to be flat... because it is! now to find out where the drain is.....
    Last edited by britlude; 20-06-2018 at 10:08 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

In the engine bay fuse box you can isolate the feed from the front easily where it bolts into the fusebox... https://flic.kr/p/273daTV

Do it with the battery disconnected first and make sure they are insulated when you reconnect... Seems to be one wire in and 2 out (probably starter and alternator).... At least it should eliminate half the car wiring quite quickly....
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

I know it's a sod to get to, but have you isolated the starter motor?

I'm wondering if it's that, or the main cable that's broken down.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Blog Entries

You have multiple issues, charging and draining.
    Much easier if having access to your NSX but too many speculations so will just share the past experiences.

By the way, still not clear whether you are really having voltage difference between the front and rear of the car.
    When you measured the voltage at the rear (eng bay), where did you use for the GND point?
    Also, you mentioned that you are using the CTEK at the jump terminal inside the eng bay.
    Nothing wrong with it but where are you using for the GND point?

You mentioned that you checked the battery cable terminal but did you check the crimped section?
    I have seen the cable bent and stressed resulting in several wire strands broken off.
    If you replaced the cable terminal with aftermarket one, you should double check it.
    Also, if you use terminal equipped with power cut off feature, make sure to check the resistance.
    Over the years, I have seen increased resistance on some of them.

2.4A of dark current is not huge compared to motor driven devices but obviously, not normal.
    As these relays are used at high power circuit, 2.4A may not be enough to generate any noticeable heat in this warm weather.

Don't know whether you have ICE or any modifications to the chassis loom.
    If you have, how are you activating the ICE AMP?
    If still relying on the speaker relay, pull it out or disable it by the fuse.
    Known to stuck close draining the battery.

The a/c blower motor fan relay is famous for getting sticky as well as causing excessive heat due to corrosion at the relay terminals outside of the relay body.
    Several NSX in Japan showed melted relay box under the bonnet/hood.
    All of the owners didn't drive their NSX regularly.
    Keeping the car inside the garage won't prevent this from happening.

If you removed the eng bay cooling fan, disconnected the relay or still using the relay but changed the mounting method, make sure the relay and connector terminals are dry.
    You can power up part of the system even without the IG key.

Please remember that these relay box, relay terminal and relay body itself are not water proof.
    Even you keep the car inside the garage, condensation will build up at the relay socket terminals.

It's not NSX specific and apply to all cars but if you wash the eng bay, front compartment or use pressure washer for washing the car, take extra care for the electronics connector and components.
    They are only good for splash proof and won't survive even the strong stream of garden hose.

Kaz

On newer cars Honda used dielectric grease on all connections of the fuse boxes. Might be worth considering...

Hi Kaaz,
    I think that your "adventure" with NSX should find the finale in the form of a book.

I might be the first one to buy a copy...

what news???
    aka Jonathan!!

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    what news???
    Thanks for asking Jon and for everyone's great info and suggestions, I even had a couple of calls from members that don't post to often giving me some good tip and iideas as well as an alternator if required so thanks.

To be honest I've been flat out busy with other stuff going on in my life but as soon as England have finished thrashing Panama 😎 I will then spend a couple of hours trying to pin down the problem but if by then I can't I will then call in my old sparks expert who's at this very moment at the Paul Ricard circuit and about to witness Hamilton race to victory.🏁

So for ever the optimist I should be back on the road sometime next week but I will keep you posted as to its outcome.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast