Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Honda battery seems to let go every 2 years. Any suggestions as to why???🤔

Doesn't the MX-5 have an AGM battery (like Hawker or Optima) for the pure reason of weight saving? No wonder it lives way longer...

Blog Entries

Bit off-topic but I was told the same and even wrote somewhere on here or on Prime that it's AGM but it's not.
    Many MX-5, Miata, Eunos Roadster forums are also stating that it's AGM but....

For the Panasonic battery made in Japan for the NA series, also sold in UK are not AGM.
    Mazda UK dealers stopped supplying it for a while but it came back on the market again many years ago.
    It travelled all the way from Japan.

I had an opportunity to speak with the battery engineers a while ago and confirmed that it's a sealed gel type with high quality calcium plates.
    Expensive but still, very good long life battery.

Kaz

OK, the story so far:

I removed the battery and had Yeomans confirm that it just didn't hold up to a drop test although showing nearly 12v on a volt meter.

I allowed my CTEK charger to fully load it up over night. By the morning my volt meter reading 12.8 volts.

I then reinstalled it after double checking the quality of both live and earth connections and all was good.

Keys into the ignition position, I pressed my Clifford remote control to desengage the immobiliser circuits and I observed instantly that my DRL's were not as bright as usual in my darkened garage along with the ignition lights also not as bright.

When I then went to crank it over the familiar total dimming of all dash lights and DRL's with a faint click from the starter solenoid and nothing else.

Voltmeter still read 12.6 volts when tested.

Just as in the Blackwall tunnel last Sunday I connected my small emergency jump pack across the starter jump posts in the engine bay and hey presto, it cranked over perfectly at the key with full power and fired up instantly.

Any suggestions please???

Ignition switch?
    Starter relay or main relay staring to play up?

I've just had a thought.
    Should I try connecting my jump pack leads directly across my battery terminals next time in the front compartment???
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

check the voltage at the batt, then check the voltage at the engine jump point... should be pretty much the same... i'd even suggest (with confirmation from others) to try your load tester at the jump terminals in the engine bay... sounds like there's a resistance between the battery and the heavy current getting to the starter...

there's a duff connection somewhere in the line... any terminals getting hot after cranking?
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

re-reading... so yeomans confirmed it's duff, and it's still playing up with a new battery, or have you charged your current battery again? just checking, tho the previous still applies!
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Quote Originally Posted by Pride View Post
    Should I try connecting my jump pack leads directly across my battery terminals next time in the front compartment???
    Yes, you should. That way you'll gain the additional info if the wiring from the front to the back is faulty (corroded, missing, whatever).
    If if connect the emergency jump pack to the terminals [b]in the engine bay[b] and it cranks right up with full power to the starter AND doing the same to the battery terminals and it doesn't start up you know for sure that the wiring has resistance, most likely at the connections esp. in the front bay. Also watch the voltage gauge in the instrument cluster. What does it read while starting?

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    re-reading... so yeomans confirmed it's duff, and it's still playing up with a new battery, or have you charged your current battery again? just checking, tho the previous still applies!
    Using my snap-on drop tester which convinced Yeomans of it's knackered condition and I know 100% that they changed the battery for a brand new one as I helped remove all the "chicken feed" from it when pulling it out of it's box.
    Pride.

2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

Quote Originally Posted by goldnsx View Post
    Yes, you should. That way you'll gain the additional info if the wiring from the front to the back is faulty (corroded, missing, whatever).
    If if connect the emergency jump pack to the terminals [b]in the engine bay[b] and it cranks right up with full power to the starter AND doing the same to the battery terminals and it doesn't start up you know for sure that the wiring has resistance, most likely at the connections esp. in the front bay. Also watch the voltage gauge in the instrument cluster. What does it read while starting?
    Tomorow I will check the voltage drop at front and rear of the car and will try the jump pack on the front terminals, I don't know why I didn't think of trying this earlier today.
    Cheers Jon and gold, hopefully that will identify the fault, it's bound to be something obvious I'm sure.
    Pride.

usually a dodgy earth!!!!!
    aka Jonathan!!

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    usually a dodgy earth!!!!!
    Post #11

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast