Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My Honda battery seems to let go every 2 years. Any suggestions as to why???🤔

Engine end too....... If the jump pack is fine and everything is ok when it's connected in the engine bay......
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

As I haven't got my manual handy... Where does the loom take its power from? I know there's an extra wire on the positive battery terminal, is that to feed the front fuse box, and the loom gets its power from the engine bay terminals?
    Last edited by britlude; 18-06-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    As I haven't got my manual handy... Where does the loom take its power from? I know there's an extra wire on the position battery terminal, is that to feed the front fuse box, and the loom gets its powerfrom the engine bay terminals?
    That would have been my next question Jon along with can anyone please tell me how many engine bay earth points there are and also where are they sited???
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

One should be between a front cam cover bolt and bulkhead near coolant bottle mount....
    aka Jonathan!!

Owing having to watch one of the greatest England victories of all time over the mighty Tunisia I didn't manage to fully check out my starting problem when I got home until 9.30pm

Something I did find out though and I can't understand how this can be is that with my CTEK charger connected to the jump start points in the engine bay, (this is the usual I've always connected my charger when parked in the garage) after disconnecting the charger the battery voltage reads 9.69v even after being on charge for the last 24hrs, so therefore it hasn't been charging the new battery.

Any ideas why that should be as I haven't got a clue???

If I connect my jump starter pack to the engine bay jump terminals I can then crank and start my engine.

I turned off the engine, disconnecting the jump pack I then checked the voltage at the battery terminals which read 9.69v

I then connected the CTEK charger directly to the battery and it's now charging healthily at 12.6v

I will try cranking it over in the morning, hopefully it will crank and start.

Question therefore is???
    Is the battery start cable connected straight through directly to the fuse box positive jump terminal or does it go through a fuse or relay system???
    Pride.

2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

I can't answer your question out of my head but it's very unusual to hook up a battery charger in the engine bay. It should connect directly to the battery.
    I guess that you have permanent 12V at the jump start terminal in the engine bay fuse box, no relay in between. If you hook it up there AND have a bad connection to the front, sure to have the same problems like the other way round when starting the engine. Dismount all the ground wires (front and back), clean them and fasten them. There's no time argueing more about it, just do it. This is a very common problem on the NSX, esp. when the car is sitting outside or is driven in rain, salt, whatever...There must be resistance at the connections. A high resistance at one point is very bad as it transforms current/power into heat. Please also check how the fat ground wires look like. In some cars the tend to break as they're not sealed while vibration and salt eats them up over time.

Good luck!

chances are there will be a corroded connection either on the main power lead coming thru to the back, or the earth from battery or the engine to the car... if you have a 3v drop between the battery and the engine end....

check the voltage at battery, then check at engine jump points.... if it's not the same check with some long test leads to work out which wire has the resistance in it....
    aka Jonathan!!

The basic layout from memory is like this

IMG_20180619_093157 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

So the points to check are.....
    IMG_20180619_092713 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Numbered.....
    IMG_20180619_093139 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

If it works with the jump pack on the rear points, then cable 4-5 connections are ok, try the jump pack black cable to a chassis bolt, like at the end of the cross beam (NOT to somewhere else on the engine or gearbox!) that'll confirm engine earth cable/connections 6-7 is fine.... Then it'll be a case of checking the front cabling and the main power to the rear 3-4... Got some looong jump leads???
    Last edited by britlude; 19-06-2018 at 03:23 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

And from the ctek charging from the engine bay jump point giving a low charge at the battery, and the car having a regularly low battery , so the alt is doing the same I'd check the engine earth, battery earth and main 12v cable ends..... You have got this wire, or similar in yr engine bay???

IMG_20180619_102847 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

between the front cam cover stud and the bulkhead.....
    Last edited by britlude; 19-06-2018 at 03:20 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

Cheers Jonathan, I really appreciate your help.
    Will check tonight.
    Pride.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast