Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: My Honda battery seems to let go every 2 years. Any suggestions as to why???🤔

Well that's the good old England thrashing prediction out of the way maybe I should now try giving a good old fashioned thrashing to my NSX.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1484.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	13459

Name:	IMG_1485.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	13460

Apologies in advance Kaz if this thought upsets you.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

any updates, or is the foozball getting in the way???
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    any updates, or is the foozball getting in the way???
    All sorted now thanks Jon but how frustrating, annoying and even embarrassing this eventual cure was.

After all the sodding about with goes along with checking for a big current draw it eventually turns out to be a completely duff brand new out of the box Honda battery.

Due to the fact it came out of a sealed box from the main dealer the last thing on my mind would be to do a drop test on this battery, so psychologically I thought the battery would be 100% perfect.

So after lengthy CTEK digital pulse charges I began to think my charger was faulty but it wasn't.
    The ammeter reading of a 4.25amp current draw was in fact 0.425amps as I had the gauge dial set on the wrong setting.

That was discovered only after pulling relays, fuses disconnecting the alternator and checking earth straps, connections and plenty of frustrated head scratching and cursing as I'd also disconnected all the after market electric kit on the car, i.e. alarm, immobiliser, all the under car and over car lighting, amplifier and all associated audio devices connected to it such as Alpine screen, navigation, Bluetooth and old school iPod adapter which eventually brought it down to a more respectable 0.095amps.

At this point with it still not turning the engine over, reading 11.85v fully charged, the green charge cell glowing brightly I reluctantly decided to do a drop test on it and BINGO!!! A completely factory fresh knackered battery.
    On phoning the dealer to tell them this news I was told it was impossible and the battery I'd returned 3 weeks earlier tested OK.
    I asked them how they tested it and they said because it was a sealed battery they could only go on the green glow through the battery inspection cell and a voltmeter which read 11.95v after a good charge. I asked if they'd done a drop test on it to which they said the parts department never do. So I told them to try cranking an engine over with it and it wouldn't do a thing.
    At that point I said I would be bringing back this faulty battery for a credit note to use on parts as an when required as I had already gone and bought a 5 year warranty YUASA battery and it's now fine.
    Moral of the story is never to believe because it's brand new and out of a factory box that it's perfect.
    The word frustration doesn't even start to explain my feelings 😡
    Here's hoping the England footie team don't play the same against the Croats tonight. 😁
    Pride.

2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

Glad, you've sorted that out.

If they're read 11.95V after a full charge they are 'on charge' IMO because it should have been clearly above 12.0 V, 12.8 V or so for a new lead battery if you let the battery sit for a hour after charging. The final voltage of the CTEC still connected doesn't mean anything at all. Recently my friend had it charged by a CTEC which resulted in a green light. But the battery was not able to turn the engine. Of course, you can always charge a dead battery but the green light doesn't mean anything at all in that peculiar case.

Blog Entries

If you had 425mA of dark current, the issue was very likely to be within the system that you disconnected or it's still there but being disturbed by the circuit that you disconnected this time.
    Hope it will stay like that and won't hear the same issue in 2 years time….

As mentioned in my earlier post, the green/black/red indicator on the battery case is relying on the specific gravity measurement.
    It can't detect increased internal resistance, internal failure, etc.

And because of the design of these basic battery conditioners and the way they use the voltage sensing, even if it shows fully charged, your battery could fail cranking the engine.

Still there are some questions not answered so I have a feeling that you have other issues but for now, glad you are back on the road.

Kaz

And now the mystery of my brand new replacement Honda flat battery has finally been solved.

If you you recall I stated:
    "Due to the fact it came out of a sealed box from the main dealer the last thing on my mind would be to do a drop test on this battery, so psychologically I thought the battery would be 100% perfect."

Taking the battery back for a credit note refund to Yeomans Honda yesterday, only because I'd already replaced my battery with a Yuasa battery, I discovered why the so called "new" battery was knackered.

After exchanging the battery four weeks ago under the warranty, Yeomans called me up a couple of weeks later to say that they couldn't find fault with my old battery, I said that was impossible and that they should try connecting it up to a car and try cranking it as they said they didn't have a heavy duty drop tester. I never heard back from them so I assumed they found it faulty after doing so.

The new Honda battery, as you all know if you've ever bought one, comes in a sealed box filled with what I call chicken feed to protect it from being damaged in transit, this stuff gets everywhere including all the crevices in the underside of the battery casing so it was taken into the workshop to be air gunned off, while at the same time my battery was cleaned up with a WD40 soaked cloth.

I'm sure you now know what's coming, yep you guessed it, they gave me back my old battery by mistake, looking brand new after it's thorough sprucing up.

The way that was discovered was that Yeomans pulled out my old battery from their warranty department to explain they couldn't find fault with it and I clamped my Snap-On drop tester across it expecting to see the metre drop instantly into the "black" dead area and to my amazement it held up strong in the Green area lighting up the element like an electric cooker ring.

As a way of an apology from them for mixing up my replacement battery 4 weeks ago Yeomans gave me a £50 credit note to spend on parts when ever I needed but also they gave me the brand new £110 battery to keep as they said they'd disposed of the old box it came in and therefore couldn't take it back into stock.

So even though it gave me a major scratching of my head to resolve what was in the end a simple problem, at least they did this.

SO ON THAT NOTE IF ANYONE NEEDS OR WANTS A BRAND NEW NEVER USED HONDA NSX BATTERY FOR JUST £60 THEN PLEASE JUST PM ME.

Name:	IMG_0352.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	13517

I'm sure this sort of thing only happens to me.

Last edited by Pride; 18-03-2019 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Changed the RRP of the Honda battery.
    Pride.

Oh FFS!

Let's hope that dark current stays away - you deserve a break!
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567