Thread: ball joint seperators.....

Default ball joint seperators.....

well, the plan for the weekend was to swap in my replacement front uprights, with the new ball joints, as one of the rubbers has split on my car.... it was all going well until i bent the 3rd ball joint splitting tool i had! so i put it all back together, and i need to get something a bit tougher...

are there any recommendations from those in the know, or is it the 07MACSL00100 honda tool (if i can find one to buy)????

i see 28mm mentioned, and a SL000102 version that's 32mm..... guessing 28mm is prefered
    Last edited by britlude; 18-05-2018 at 07:31 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

We've used one of the two Honda tools (not sure which size). There's a reason Honda does extra tools, oils etc. Pricey but simply worth it.

I destroyed a new set of ball joint separators too, trying to separate a spare set of wshbones and compliance pivots. I gave up but will be interested to see if the Honda one does the trick.
    Have you tried sourcing one from Marc Perez?

4. Default

$240 for the Honda tool !
    Mike

i have a couple of tools on order, as i want to try again next weekend..... i'll keep you posted, or will be ordering the honda one!!!!!
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

I replaced the ball joints in my front knuckles over the winter, required a 28mm separator for the steering rack attachment and 32mm for the upper and lower ball joints.

I must have been lucky: the 28mm separator was an eBay special, the 32mm was better quality; in fact I am pretty sure it's the same as the Facom one (https://primetools.co.uk/product/fac...int-separator/) but much cheaper. Both worked fine.

I'm happy to box them up and send them if you want to give it a try.
    Daily driver: Jaguar iPace HSE
    2000 NSX Coupe, Circuit Blue, was W2NSX now V6NSX
    Renault Megane RS Trophy R
    Other interesting mode of transport: Bell JetRanger

Blog Entries

Normally, I don't lend my tools but based on what I saw on your build thread and on FB pages, you are more than welcome to try my Honda tools as a backup.

On the other hand, considering your high skill and good tool quality, you may struggle even with the Honda tool for this case.

I try not to separate the upper/lower ball joints unless it's 100% required because of the risk and with some cases, I thought I'm going to break the Honda tools.
    It was under so much pressure and you can feel it was bending despite the hardened heat treated material/design used.

On several cases, I had to borrow the tool and I think it was from Hazet but don't have the model no.
    It had much thicker body and craw design but never failed.

If using Honda tools, for the upright, 32mm is recommended if you want to re-use the boot but since you already have new ball joint installed on the spare upright, doesn't really matter.

Not sure it's still available but you can buy 32 mm set (-SL00100) and just buy the 28mm craw (-SL00210) instead of the whole set.
    Just swap the craw section depending on your requirement.

I have both in complete set as it saves my time swapping the craw because you will need both set when dealing with the area around the upright.

Kaz

thank you very much for the generous offers....

i have replacement splitters on order, if these fail to do the job i shall be in touch!!!!
    aka Jonathan!!