Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help please. MOT failure on emissions.

Blog Entries

If it was before 01/Aug/92, you need non-CAT test that looks for the CO/HC data only and not the lambda.
    Your post suggested that the tester carried out the BET and not the non-CAT test so that's why I asked.

You may want pointing it out to the tester to check the spec of the engine based on the VIN.

Even if you failed the BET, that doesn't mean MOT failure.
    They won't be able to find the exact match of your NSX for the combination of VIN and engine spec because it's 91 model registered in 93.
    Even the VIN format for 92 model is different from yours.
    Therefore, if followed the emission test screen, this should result in carrying out non-CAT test.
    It's like having replacement engine from earlier model on the later spec chassis.
    [Edit: Graham, if you send me an email at kaznsxcb-002'at'yahoo'dot''co''dot''jp' , I can send you a document showing the VIN and Eng no. combination for 91, 92, 93 models that may help in assisting your claim.]

If failing to convince the tester, then as others suggested, just keep the CAT really hot.
    The emission test procedure is within the closed loop control region and because of the delay in the sensor as well as the in the feedback loop, several small factors will add up to hit the limit.
    Old fuel doesn't help but again, keeping the CAT hot is the key.

You are allowed to drive the car even after the MOT expired as long as you can prove that you are on the way to take the MOT. You can book for MOT and ask the test station to send SMS/email/etc as the proof in case you were stopped or caught on road side camera for some reason.

Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 28-04-2018 at 07:02 PM. Reason: extra info

2. Default

I think my NSX was first used January 1992 (It's dated in the dealer book) but DVLA lost the data at some point and it's now registered as new years eve 1992 which is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by m666 edd View Post
    I think my NSX was first used January 1992 (It's dated in the dealer book) but DVLA lost the data at some point and it's now registered as new years eve 1992 which is a pain.
    If that were me I would get in touch with the DVLA and insist they date it before Aug92 if you can prove it was first on the road via the service book as obviously at the moment you can't de-cat it and improve it with a performance exhaust.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Blog Entries

Replied to your email, Graham.
    Sometimes, depending on the document format, hyperlink, etc could trigger spam filter so please check your spam folder if you haven't received it yet.
    Hope the documents will assist your case.

Please just keep the CAT hot.
    No point in using high rpm that will force the ECU into open loop mode.
    Cruising at 50 -70mph in 5th/6th gear for sometime is best as what you need is the rapid oxidation/regeneration cycles at the CAT.

Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 29-04-2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: extra comment

IT PASSED !!!!

I found and cleaned the air flow temperature sensor, thanks for the photos Britlude, cleaned the air filter as best I could with air jets, and drove along the M5 for two junctions and back before I went to the place that did the MOT. I kept the engine running all the time and he eventually, after warming up his machine, stuck the probe up the exhaust. The lambda value came into spec but the HC value was too high, even though it passed that bit on Friday. I was close to tears. On the second test the HC finally passed as well so I was happy at last. Now I can sleep.

I tried to argue that it was a '91 Kaz, but he said the rules were it had to be treated by the year it was registered. Thanks for the info though anyway. I wish there was something I could do about it. Still, lessons learned for next year.

Thanks to all who helped. That's what I like about this website. Years of experience on these cars and helpful people.

Graham

hurrah, glad it passed! i have the same argument every year as mine came in in '98, and is a '92 car...
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

I also have the same issue, mine is a JDM and was registered with DVLA as a 96 model but I am pretty certain it's actually a 91 car.
    For starters, I have no power steering and I am sure I saw some Japanese VIN numbers listed in the distant past that confirmed my suspicions.
    Does anyone know where you can find Japanese VIN number information.
    Formula Red and Black 3.0 manual

It passed the MOT anyway but Norton Honda confirmed it was a 91 by the Vin Number.
    CO was 0.011
    HC was 11
    Lamda was 1.004

So all is good
    Formula Red and Black 3.0 manual

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12