Thread: Pop-Up Headlight Switch

Default Pop-Up Headlight Switch

Hi all,

I'm looking for a pop up headlight switch, I think the one on my car is knackered, and I don't have the skill or the patience to open it up and re-solder bits inside ( I think as it's been removed and refitted so many times that there connections might be broken internally)

OR other option, if someone knows how to short/bypass the switch at the connector, I'd be happy with that.

really determined to get my car back on the road properly this year.

Cheers
    Jim
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

Blog Entries

Hi, Jim.

If you just want keeping the headlight in Up position all the time, fairly easy.
    There is a manual override method.

You MUST first remove the 2 x 15A fuse for the R & L retractor motor inside the octagonal box under the bonnet/hood.
    Very important. Otherwise, you could injure your finger in the next step.

Behind the headlight unit, you will see vertical stick/knob with black cap at the top.
    Remove the cap and rotate the knob in the direction of the arrow until the headlight unit reaches the fully up position.

As long as you keep these two fuses removed, the headlight unit stays where it is.

For the switch, if you are referring to the square one sitting just below the trip mete next to the illumination control sw, then you may want first checking the connector housing.
    Happened on many NSX.

Because of fairly limited space when releasing the mating connector, people can accidentally pull out the connector housing slightly from the retractor sw circuit board.
    This will cause intermittent connection yet the mating connector will fully lock when inserted so people won't notice the issue.

This photo is from a different sw but the same stroy.

Please make sure there is no gap at the mating surface between the connector housing and the circuit board.
    Even a few mm gap is enough to cause problem.

The sw itself is combined with the illumination control so not that cheap.
    For your model, 35151-SL0-A02.
    About GBP70 + delivery even before leaving Japan.

If you are talking about the main headlight switch located closer to the steering wheel near the wiper sw, then that's a different story.

Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 23-04-2018 at 09:35 AM. Reason: extra info

Hi Kaz,

In the photo you posted, I think that is exactly my problem, that the circuit connections may be broken hence the switch not working, (so maybe its the connector end not the switch that may be the problem) I would like the light to be able to go up and down when you switch the headlights on/off, so I was wondering if there was a way to bypass the switch, so that the lights up/down operation only works with the main headlight switch, with no need for the button.

Now that the weather is improving, I will try and have a closer inspection.

Thanks

Jim

Blog Entries

Hi, Jim.
    For better understanding of the possible cause of your issue, please refer to these photos.

This is TCS sw that can result in exactly the same failure mode.
    From the circuit board point of view, nothing broken, no soldering crack or anything. Purely a connector socket issue.

As same as your retractor sw, when disconnecting the chassis loom, because of the limited space, you could pull too hard on the mating plug connector that it can pull out the socket connector mounted on the circuit board.
    However, unless you look at inside the sw body, you won't notice it and yet, the mating plug connector will fully lock properly.

Blog Entries

You will only notice it when the socket was completely pulled off from the sw body.

If the socket housing was pulled far enough, you won't notice it unless looking at it carefully yet it will result in intermittent connection.
    In the last photo, you can't even see the terminals inside the housing if it was pulled out too far.

Kaz

Hey Jim, did you dislodge the plug when you did the S2000 cluster install?

yeah, when I was doing the S2000 dash install, I had taken it on and off a few times, and looks like ill be doing it again. I'll give the switch a close inspection next time and see if I can rectify.

PS, can any Admin, maybe move this to the Technical section??

Jim