Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What’s this years insurance costs like?

Just had to renew my insurance cover, I found the Footman James proposal the best overall value using their car collection policy, no limits on mileage across the collection and includes the usual stuff like european cover for 90 days. Option of guaranteed value with submission of photos. Sensible excess levels no compulsory requirement for trackers to be fitted, but discounts if they are. So with 2 daily drivers, one with business use cover, and a 6 car collection including the NSX-R the cost is just over £200/car, which I think is great value and certainly beat my previous insurer and the others I tried by quite a big margin.
    [SIGPIC]

www.nsxclub.co.uk

2001 NA2 Imola Orange Pearl/Black Leather (Type S evocation)
    2003 NA2 Long Beach Blue/Black Leather (NSX-R evocation)

Non NSX
    Lotus Carlton 30/250

Previous NSX
    2004 NA2-R Championship White/Red Seats 111/150 personal import April 2016 sold 2020
    NA2 2005 NA2 LBB/Grey Leather last 12 car, 2005 Pearl White/Red Leather last 12 car, 2003-T Black/Black, 2003-T Red/Black
    NA1 1996 Type R White/Black 447/483, 2 x 1991 manual, 1993 manual, 1996-T manual, 2002-T F-matic

Considering your rare and valuable car collection Shawn I think that an absolute bargain.👍
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

I never realised this, an interesting fact from "Honest John" on Telegraph website. OK if you have more than one car, but if it is your only car and circumstances need you to change to a modern car ???

Why don't classic insurance policies accrue no-claims discounts?

Until recently I have driven exclusively on classic car insurance. Despite never claiming, I have accrued no NCD, as these are not a feature of classic policies. That seemed a reasonable trade-off for the low premiums compared to conventional car insurance. But when I came to insure a modern car last year, I was dismayed that no insurer would give me any NCD, even though they can verify my (no) claims history via their database. Does that strike you as unfair? They can't even argue that my past mileage has been too low, as all my classic policies have either been unlimited or with a high agreed limit.
    Asked on 31 May 2018 by Adrian Pettet
    Answered by Tim Kelly
    Yes, it strikes me as unfair. They have all your claims history on their underwriting database. Unfortunately, we have to play by their rules, not ours. Perhaps look at insuring your modern car in an alternative way? Telematics box? Limited mileage?If you're retired, make sure it does not have "to and from a place of work" as this will reduce it dramatically. Use a good broker and not just price comparison sites.

Well my previous insurer Heritage allowed up to 12 years NCD on each car classic or otherwise and Footman James allows up to 5 years I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by ianhb View Post
    I never realised this, an interesting fact from "Honest John" on Telegraph website. OK if you have more than one car, but if it is your only car and circumstances need you to change to a modern car ???

Why don't classic insurance policies accrue no-claims discounts?

Until recently I have driven exclusively on classic car insurance. Despite never claiming, I have accrued no NCD, as these are not a feature of classic policies. That seemed a reasonable trade-off for the low premiums compared to conventional car insurance. But when I came to insure a modern car last year, I was dismayed that no insurer would give me any NCD, even though they can verify my (no) claims history via their database. Does that strike you as unfair? They can't even argue that my past mileage has been too low, as all my classic policies have either been unlimited or with a high agreed limit.
    Asked on 31 May 2018 by Adrian Pettet
    Answered by Tim Kelly
    Yes, it strikes me as unfair. They have all your claims history on their underwriting database. Unfortunately, we have to play by their rules, not ours. Perhaps look at insuring your modern car in an alternative way? Telematics box? Limited mileage?If you're retired, make sure it does not have "to and from a place of work" as this will reduce it dramatically. Use a good broker and not just price comparison sites.
    [SIGPIC]

www.nsxclub.co.uk

2001 NA2 Imola Orange Pearl/Black Leather (Type S evocation)
    2003 NA2 Long Beach Blue/Black Leather (NSX-R evocation)

Non NSX
    Lotus Carlton 30/250

Previous NSX
    2004 NA2-R Championship White/Red Seats 111/150 personal import April 2016 sold 2020
    NA2 2005 NA2 LBB/Grey Leather last 12 car, 2005 Pearl White/Red Leather last 12 car, 2003-T Black/Black, 2003-T Red/Black
    NA1 1996 Type R White/Black 447/483, 2 x 1991 manual, 1993 manual, 1996-T manual, 2002-T F-matic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12