Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 f1

Very suspicious:
    Toro Rosso had not a single problem related to the engine and completed many laps so far.
    McLaren only had problems so far with the 'highlight' of the need to change the engine today.

Very hypothetical but maybe McLaren could have contributed to the problems (for Honda) by far more than what we've heard or read here and there in the last years.
    Franz Tost on the other hand is very happy with Honda. It looks as both parties can benefit.

Just a few bugs to iron out and they’ll be good to go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	52191D11-94A4-4102-8819-F57D8E7E1F28.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	13352
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Quote Originally Posted by goldnsx View Post
    Very hypothetical but maybe McLaren could have contributed to the problems (for Honda) by far more than what we've heard or read here and there in the last years.
    I've always thought that, to be honest:-
    - Red Bull historically had Renault problems, with a few parties suggesting partly because their bodywork design caused packaging and/or cooling issues. Their performance improved over time, but no-one said whether the engine changed or the bodywork changed...
    - Mclaren's 2015/16 cars were touted as having very tight rear bodywork...maybe they've continued that?!?
    - Mclaren are almost as arrogant a team as Ferrari.
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

Quote Originally Posted by havoc View Post
    - Mclaren's 2015/16 cars were touted as having very tight rear bodywork...maybe they've continued that?!?
    Mclaren certainly like to keep their pit crew excessively busy and always on their toes, probably while Alonso takes it easy in his 6🌟 luxury motor home being massaged before his next few laps.😂
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

This year's McLaren certainly continues their design philosophy of the last few years with the bodywork very tightly packaged - the car looks quite different to the others. I think there is little doubt this radical approach has, and is continuing too, cause problems with the engine and electric gubbins.

However, they aren't going to win anything being the same as the rest, especially as they now have a customer engine.

It's difficult to draw sensible conclusions from testing, but (stating the bleeding obvious!) the car looks potentially fast but currently fragile.

Despite their place in the weeks lap times (7th iirc) I have little doubt to he Mercedes will be the car to beat.

Interesting to see that Renault have a blown rear wing...if they manage to get it working, expect the others to cry 'foul'.
    Last edited by WhyOne?; 10-03-2018 at 09:27 PM.
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Not sure but how do Japanese react in general when you get blamed and accused officially by McLaren and Alonso? It's a different culture I don't know. Honda was paying a big part of the annual bills. Wild guessing but as 2015/2016 were very difficult for them I could imagine that Honda was more than happy to change the team at the end of 2017 and might have contributed to that in 2017 by blowing up engines just to part from McLaren? Really wild guessing I know.
    Last year we had a very angry Renault engine boss who accused Toro Rosso of not using the recommended mapping in one race to gain an advantage but blowing the Renault engine instead. McLaren has problems with any engine in their car since 2015. So I think that they've contributed somehow to the "Honda-disaster" which was partly caused by McLaren but Honda was resting silent. The new aera with Toro Rosso is very, very promissing. And Helmut Marko is watching this project pretty closely to part Red Bull from Renault in the near future. Renault wants a decision from Red Bull in April...a little bit early.
    Last year, Verstappen had some problem with the Renault engine too but he's really a wild driver...

I think it is a bit (!!!!) of a stretch to suggest that a company who invests countless millions for the opportunity to demonstrate their engineering prowess in F1 would deliberately 'detonate' their engines in front of a global TV audience.

As for the increasingly public critisism of the Honda engine by Fred and McLaren, I would expect that Honda where quite rightly annoyed and frustrated by this and, by remaining silent, came out of the whole debacle with rather more dignity as a consequence.

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

I know it's a big stretch but on the other hand the Honda people are also human being. They know seppuku, harakiri, 'not loosing his face' but how do they react in the case of 'deliberate' revenge?

If you know that the season is going to end and the publicity damage is already done (by Fred and McL) and you know that you're working with a new team you have all the incentives for a revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by goldnsx View Post
    I know it's a big stretch but on the other hand the Honda people are also human being. They know seppuku, harakiri, 'not loosing his face' but how do they react in the case of 'deliberate' revenge?

If you know that the season is going to end and the publicity damage is already done (by Fred and McL) and you know that you're working with a new team you have all the incentives for a revenge.
    Hmmmm...too far into tinfoil hat territory for me!

Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Quote Originally Posted by WhyOne? View Post
    As for the increasingly public critisism of the Honda engine by Fred and McLaren, I would expect that Honda where quite rightly annoyed and frustrated by this and, by remaining silent, came out of the whole debacle with rather more dignity as a consequence.
    Agreed, in part:-
    - For those people that think about it, Honda's silence is a consequence of them not wanting to get into any sort of argument (which I understand is contrary to Japanese culture of politeness).
    - For those that just view it through a 21st Century Western Media filter, their silence is probably read as guilt...since everyone on the media now adopts the 'offence is the best form of defence' strategy and throws as much mud as possible. Honda not saying anything could be read as them not having any excuses at all...

I also agree that Honda wouldn't have deliberately sabotaged their engines...but would have started dropping hints that maybe the partnership wasn't working out...
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast