Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NA2 facelift closing in on NC1 ... or the other way round?

Quote Originally Posted by WhyOne? View Post
    I understand where you are coming from Dave, but is Toyota 'more of a badge' than Honda?
    https://jalopnik.com/this-1-2-millio...-thr-484505000
    Well for me that’s a classic case of more money than sense. But if that’s your thing then fine plus it is a rarer car but would I pay that for a 51 year old NA? No.
    Dave
    Berlina Black NA2 6 speed manual - Sold

Interesting and look forward to this battery tech coming through to mainstream manufacturing. Whilst I have no intention of giving up the NSX, for daily commuting, much of which is either ‘restricted’ by average speed cameras (or to my mind, artificial lowering of UK speed limits without actually changing them!!!!), or stationary traffic I have no issue at all with hybrid tech, just the battery vs distance vs charging time ... so if as yo suggest Ian, that they can recharge in about the same time it takes to fill with fossil fuels, and I can get 500+ miles then I’ll make the switch. BUt until then, I start the transition with something like a C300h, pay zero congestion and RFL and enjoy 70+mpg ...

Quote Originally Posted by WhyOne? View Post
    I'm not so sure. The rewards are huge and the R&D budgets being committed to increasing battery storage density are emormous.

Solid state batteries with 3D terminals (Fisker have recently patented batteries based on this technology claiming a 500 mile range charged in a minute!). Using graphene in batteries also seems to offer huge potential. Someone, somewhere will crack this I'm sure.
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

While I am hopeful that battery packaging and performance will improve as time goes on, not even Elon Musk can change the laws of physics. To make an electric car go 1 mile will take and many electrons in 20 years time as it does now (if car is same weight, friction losses the same blah blah).

The current draws going into electric cars is already massive: it takes 22 hours to charge a Renault Zoe on a 13 amp plug from zero charge. OK you can go up on the current delivery capacity but if everyone buys one, we don't have enough generating capacity to cope.

Remember Tesla's truck? Looks great, pulls like a train? They didn't make too much mention of the battery weight though. Estimates vary depending on range but between 9 and 12 tonnes!

As you can tell, I remain to be convinced that BEV is the way forward. Toyota are pursuing hydrogen, but the issue is infrastructure and how to produce the gas in the first place. PHEV is the best you can get at the moment.
    Daily driver: Jaguar iPace HSE
    2000 NSX Coupe, Circuit Blue, was W2NSX now V6NSX
    Renault Megane RS Trophy R
    Other interesting mode of transport: Bell JetRanger

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    ... so what would you choose ... a 50k mile 13yr old car or one with the latest tech, under a year old and only a few thousand miles?

If I was in the position to do so, I’d take the NC1 ...
    On the continental EU the prices for Gen1 are not as high as in the UK. Also, the price relation of Gen1 to Gen2 vary from 1:3 to 1:2 but neither of them sell really well. So the UK prices for standard Gen1 might be a little bit too high (maybe not for the Type R, you lucky guys ). If I could get one for the prices in the US (around $140-150k) I might take the NC1 but maybe wouldn't keep it as long as a Gen1.

Future technology: I'm driving hybrids since 9 years on a daily base and every other technology would put me far back at the moment + I guess for the next 10 years too. Even though I wouldn't buy electric I respect Elon Musks effort. At least his investing his revenues from his first big deal back in the economy and will deserve place in automotive history for sure, regardless if electric cars are the future or not.

I’ve always been led to believe that fast charging batteries can damage them? If this is the case unless they reinvent the battery fast charging times are always going to be a problem.
    Dave
    Berlina Black NA2 6 speed manual - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by dcnsx View Post
    I’ve always been led to believe that fast charging batteries can damage them? If this is the case unless they reinvent the battery fast charging times are always going to be a problem.
    Very much depends on the battery technology....solid state and graphene based (potential) solutions are very, very different to those currently available.
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12