Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NA2 facelift closing in on NC1 ... or the other way round?

Default NA2 facelift closing in on NC1 ... or the other way round?

Just noticed Nigel’s old car pop up on the interweb at an asking price even Plans have not ventured towards for the last 12 .... so I thought I’d have a hunt for the nearest NC1 ... and after a little digging I could get close to a £30k delta ...

To my thinking, if you’ve got £100k to splash on a weekend toy, going an extra £30 is probably do-able ... so what would you choose ... a 50k mile 13yr old car or one with the latest tech, under a year old and only a few thousand miles?

If I was in the position to do so, I’d take the NC1 ...
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

I saw that too - and don't quite understand "the market". I know the numbers of RHD NA2's in the UK (& worldwide) are small, but so are the number of NC1's....
    I'd try the NC1 too.
    December '99 GH-NA2 110 series - 6AS62 Type S in Monte Carlo Blue Pearl

Interesting question. It's crossed between my ears with the ludicrous prices of late.

Beancounter head says the old banger will depreciate less, probably be more reliable(!) and fits down country lanes more easily.

And I just like it better. So there's a bit of confirmation bias going on.

Ask me again, when the NC is down to junk money and the NA in the stratosphere...
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Graves View Post
    Interesting question.

Ask me again, when the NC is down to junk money and the NA in the stratosphere...
    Quality response as always Nick ... and I like this thinking!
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

In the absence of actual sold prices it's going to be tough to get an idea of where the market currently is.

When getting up towards £100k, the lure of the manual V10 R8 gets ever so tempting....

I personally cannot see the NA selling way past 100k, there’s just not enough badge there. For a lot of people it is just a Honda, which is a lot of the reason why it never was a great seller in the first place. I do hope tho of course to be proved wrong and I will eat my shorts!
    Dave
    Berlina Black NA2 6 speed manual - Sold

I owned Nigel's last 12 for a couple of years and when I sold it via Plans I think it was a sensible and fair price. Since then it has passed through a few dealers hands with the price jumping each time. Of course there is an even higher priced NA2 facelift (LHD) on a well known auction site for 17% more than the last 12. If you want to pay more there is another well known site that has a LBB base NA2 facelift (in Hong Kong) at £140k. They also have 2 NA2 Rs for £260k plus import costs to the UK. I sold a 2003 NA2 NSXT privately for close to £80k earlier in February 2018. I had 2 willing private buyers at this level. For what it's worth my view is the NA2 facelift UK market is £70-90k for reasonable mileage cars, with pre-facelift NA2's very close to these levels.

As for NC1 vs NA1 vs NA2. I do think that the relative rarity of the cars is a big factor, even the most common early NA1s remain rare.

I won't be surprised to see the NA2 and NC1 price close further over the next few years, after all many older Ps and Fs command higher prices than more recent models, and the same market sees new models depreciate whilst old models continue to rise. NA2 NSX are rarer than many so called rare Ps and Fs. Don't forget NA2 in RHD form are also very rare even in Japan, so they will always have the edge on NA1s in the UK and Japan based on rarity.

If sales remain as slow as they appear to be with NC1s eventually they should also rise (due to rarity) but this assumes the technology stands the test of time as well as the NA models. I personally I remain doubtful about the technological progress of batteries despite Tesla's apparent progress - don't forget batteries have been around longer than internal combustion engines, there are both chemical and physical limits that battery technology will never overcome. I think a Hydrogen breakthrough is more likely than the step changes still required in battery technology.

Finally prices in Japan have been rising at least as fast as the UK market particularly for the NA2, S and R types. There are plenty of imported NA1 cars but don't remember seeing any base model NA2 imports in recent years. Low mileage NA1 R prices seem to be over £150k and NA2s are certainly over £200k with some over £250k. These are Japan prices so add 30-35% to those to get on the road in the UK.

The other factor to consider is with less than 500 UK NA series NSX it only ever matters what value 500 people place on the cars. Thankfully there are more than 500 people that can see past the badges of the more obvious and more common alternative cars. I have lost count of how many P and F owners ask me why I have an NSX and not a P or F, when I take them out in the NSX most are surprised how good it is, some say they would have bought one instead had they known.

This is just the unashamed biased view of a fan of all NA series NSX and internal combustion engines in general.

Neil
    [SIGPIC]

www.nsxclub.co.uk

2001 NA2 Imola Orange Pearl/Black Leather (Type S evocation)
    2003 NA2 Long Beach Blue/Black Leather (NSX-R evocation)

Non NSX
    Lotus Carlton 30/250

Previous NSX
    2004 NA2-R Championship White/Red Seats 111/150 personal import April 2016 sold 2020
    NA2 2005 NA2 LBB/Grey Leather last 12 car, 2005 Pearl White/Red Leather last 12 car, 2003-T Black/Black, 2003-T Red/Black
    NA1 1996 Type R White/Black 447/483, 2 x 1991 manual, 1993 manual, 1996-T manual, 2002-T F-matic

I understand where you are coming from Dave, but is Toyota 'more of a badge' than Honda?
    https://jalopnik.com/this-1-2-millio...-thr-484505000
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

So rarity of NSX-Rs sits neatly either side of the 351 2000GTs with 483 NA1 NSX-R and 150 NA2 NSX-R. Oh and UK NA2 NSX less than 100! No surprise to me this is reflected to some extent in values of NA2s even with the impact of badge snobbery against them.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyOne? View Post
    I understand where you are coming from Dave, but is Toyota 'more of a badge' than Honda?
    https://jalopnik.com/this-1-2-millio...-thr-484505000
    [SIGPIC]

www.nsxclub.co.uk

2001 NA2 Imola Orange Pearl/Black Leather (Type S evocation)
    2003 NA2 Long Beach Blue/Black Leather (NSX-R evocation)

Non NSX
    Lotus Carlton 30/250

Previous NSX
    2004 NA2-R Championship White/Red Seats 111/150 personal import April 2016 sold 2020
    NA2 2005 NA2 LBB/Grey Leather last 12 car, 2005 Pearl White/Red Leather last 12 car, 2003-T Black/Black, 2003-T Red/Black
    NA1 1996 Type R White/Black 447/483, 2 x 1991 manual, 1993 manual, 1996-T manual, 2002-T F-matic

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnsx5 View Post
    ..... don't forget batteries have been around longer than internal combustion engines, there are both chemical and physical limits that battery technology will never overcome. I think a Hydrogen breakthrough is more likely than the step changes still required in battery technology.....

Neil
    I'm not so sure. The rewards are huge and the R&D budgets being committed to increasing battery storage density are emormous.

Solid state batteries with 3D terminals (Fisker have recently patented batteries based on this technology claiming a 500 mile range charged in a minute!). Using graphene in batteries also seems to offer huge potential. Someone, somewhere will crack this I'm sure.
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast