Thread: Luggage in the front

Default Luggage in the front

Hi .
    im doing a road trip to Spain,France etc.could do with more luggage storage.
    Is there Sutch a thing as a front luggage pod to replace the front wheel.?
    As if I have a flat tyre I would not be able to store it anywhere.so was thinking of leaving the spare at home
    regards Tim Leeds

I seem to remember a few people have used the spare wheel location over the years with varying degrees of success. There is no official product, but several jerry-can-esque solutions have been employed, including ammunition boxes . I think you may have issues with heat, as the radiator and associated pipework run close to that area. Do a search and see what others have come up with.
    Last edited by NZNick; 15-01-2018 at 08:19 PM.
    December '99 GH-NA2 110 series - 6AS62 Type S in Monte Carlo Blue Pearl

New cars come with a tyre repair kit with a compressor. I've thrown my spare tyre out in favor for such a kit. It fits behind the seats.

Luggage behind the radiator might work in winter but not in summer. If it's raining it'll get wet.

For our first road-trip in the car I fashioned a plastic kitchen storage tub (with lid) into something that sat on and bolted to the spare-wheel cradle. It worked as storage for a small toolkit / screenwash bottle / etc. Except it cooked the stuff inside, even with ~5-6in clearance from the radiator.

...so if you're going to do it you need to (a) ensure the ex-rad airflow vents downwards underneath the car quickly (or get an NSX-R style bonnet and vent it upwards); and (b) cover the front-half in foil to reflect as much heat as possible.

But to answer your question, there was never anything official nor after-market...not that anyone on here has identified, anyway...

PS - unless you're both >6ft there's a surprising amount of storage space behind the seats.
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

If your doing a solo trip what about sliding your passenger seat forward and stowing behind it?
    Dave
    Berlina Black NA2 6 speed manual - Sold

You could try and be a bit more conservative in terms of what you pack and what you really need ... thats the way i have done it in the past with my X
    Get it all in the boot and store whatever else in the footwell of the cabin or behind the seats based on how vertically challenged the occupants are
    Any road trips I have done with the good wife we have been able to utilise the space and be adequate for our stay away
    wee bit more planning is key ... NB not saying that you have not done this or making other accusations!
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda

Thinking outside the box (sorry!) I had rear luggage racks on my MX-5s and an ABS suitcase with a good rubber seal. And a bungee spider.

That worked perfectly. Even with my 'advanced' cornering style...

The NSX has a rear deck somewhat larger than an NA MX-5. I'm thinking is there some sort of Thule box/rack or an ABS suitcase you could clamp on?

After all, some dude recently had mountain bikes suckered to the roof!
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

I am planing to use an aluminium camera/video case in which to carry my photographic gear in the front spare wheel position as the boot will be full of clothing. I will trial it with some inexpensive contents to see if the heat has any effect.
    Honda NSX NA2 1999
    The only absolute knowledge attainable by man is that life is meaningless without an NSX

Just don't bring your old 35mm with you!
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson