Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly wheel and water pump

Default Fly wheel and water pump

Hi I have a 90000 mile nsx 1991
    it needs a clutch should I or should I NOT CHANGE the fly wheel??
    Also whilst doing the clutch I thought I would do the cam belt and water pump,However these were done 15000 miles ago BUT that equates to 6 years should I do belt only.
    is there any thing else I should consider doing whilst the gear box is out ��

Quote Originally Posted by Ttd322 View Post
    Hi I have a 90000 mile nsx 1991
    it needs a clutch should I or should I NOT CHANGE the fly wheel??
    Also whilst doing the clutch I thought I would do the cam belt and water pump,However these were done 15000 miles ago BUT that equates to 6 years should I do belt only.
    is there any thing else I should consider doing whilst the gear box is out ��
    The OEM clutch is a complete set (with flywheel included).
    TB: the TB is a very strong part. I personally would extend it to 10 years as your mileage is low. By saying that I don't give you a guarranty. If you can't sleep because of the TB DO IT.
    Is the gearbox 100% perfect right now?

How much money do you have??
    Things often overlooked and would make sense while you are there: all coolant hoses, drive shaft boots & grease, timing belt tensioner & spring.

4. Default

Crank pulley clutch cylinder etc...

Blog Entries

As goldnsx mentioned, if you go for the OEM twin disc CL set, you will be forced to buy the flywheel, the pilot bearing, etc included in the set unless replacing just the two friction discs.
    At 90K miles, probably too late for the cheaper option of just replacing the friction discs so just go for the full set and replace the flywheel as well.
    The friction coefficient is really high on the discs used on our NSX so by now, even the flywheel would show some wear.
    On other make/model, you won't be surprised to see the flywheel surviving for the rest of the car life but not on our NSX, I'm afraid.

The latest service schedule has even extended but when NSX was still in production, for European market, all Honda cars (not just NSX) registered on or after Jul/98 were following the revised schedule of every 9,000miles or 12 months whichever came first.
    For the TB service in Europe, it originally started as every 60K miles or 5 years. If you have the original service log book, that's what you will find for your 91 NSX.

Then, for those registered on or after Jul/98, suddenly, it was extended to every 72k miles or 8 years and from NSX point of view, nothing was changed around the engine and auxiliary system so this change was more of marketing oriented than the design change.

Therefore, you need to make your own decision on what to do.
    I don't follow these service schedule based on what I saw in Japan and I follow the general consensus for old Japanese production cars around that era of every 100K km (about 60K miles) or 10 years whichever comes first.

There is no need to open the engine while doing the CL service so unless there is another reason to do so, may be you can leave the TB/WP this time? Please make sure to replace the crank pulley at every TB service regardless of the mileage covered and if you do track your NSX, you must do it at much earlier stage.
    You can replace just the crank pulley at any time without opening the engine.

Not sure where you are based but is your CL showing tiny slip at high rpm quick upshifting?
    In UK, there are owners with well over 100K miles on the same CL so while 90K miles is good, not sure how you decided that your CL is at the end of its life.
    Probably you are worrying about the torsion spring than the friction disc.

Kaz

Hi haven’t noticed CL slipping just a smell when reversing more than once EG parking.
    Aparrenly you did the TB/WP at 78,997 miles june 2011 (H4NSX) with it been 7 years I thought it best ?
    However should I do the WP.
    im in Leeds
    vtecdirect.com in Harrogate are quoting £3000 for both
    9 hrs to di TB\WP ?

9hrs... £3000... Wow.
    come down south and I can do it for £2500...

SS
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

Gear box feels fantastic no slipping.I have a smell when reversing for example PARKING

The WP holds easily 20 years is done right the last time and using the Honda Type 2 coolant. Never ever use the wrong coolant!!!

Reverse - smell: are you sure it's not oil dripping on the rear header?

Did you ever change the coolant hoses? THIS would be the priority if it was my car.

Blog Entries

Without the authorisation of the previous owner, I won't comment on the specific NSX that I serviced before but any NSX that went through my Eng Refresh program were issued with my service log file stating that one can opt for the same service interval of JDM spec.

That is every 60K miles (or 10 years) whichever comes first.

I on purposely placed bracket for the age based interval of 10 years because in the official Honda Japan document, it only specifies the mileage based interval of every 60K miles and nothing about the age.

Therefore, some owners achieved the 60K mark and carried out the TB service on NSX every 5 years, 10 years or even at 15+ years but as a general consensus in Japan, we tend to carry out TB service at least every 10 years even though the manufactures are not specifying it.

It's your call but I'm doing the Eng Refresh on my own NSX every 60K miles or 10 years over the last 24 years of my ownership.

Please replace WP at the time of each TB service.
    You can spin the WP and check the bearing when TB was removed but unless you remove the WP, you can't inspect the status of the impeller, the debris accumulated in the WP housing 'pockets' and most importantly, the corrosion creeping behind the WP gasket. Already saw tiny seepage through the gasket section on some of the UK based NSX.

In Europe, I noticed there was Type 2 coolant batch issue (crystallisation) at some point in the past.
    I couldn't vacuum feed these coolant because it was blocking my fine meshed filter.
    Had to be replaced with good ones but I experienced the same on many bottles several years ago.
    Now it seems to be fine.

Also, on my WP, I saw small rust building up on the impeller even at 4 years old despite using the Type 2 coolant for ages so instead of Honda's spec of replacing coolant every 5 years, I tend to recommend doing so at earlier stage but that's just me.

Unless you are revving the engine rapidly and slipping the CL a lot while reversing, the smell you are getting is very unlikely to be the CL.

If you lost one of the torsion spring, you will notice the immediate difficulty in disengaging the CL.

More like brake pad, tyre, coolant, etc depending on how you were driving before reversing.

The first sign of CL limit is the tiny slip during the quick upshift at high rpm.
    Once you started feeling this, you have long enough time for the preparation of CL service before you really need to replace the CL.

Kaz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast