Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended garages for NSX work?

Default Recommended garages for NSX work?

As I've now got the NSX out of storage and am driving it daily, I'm making a list of niggles that need investigation/work. You know the sort of things: slow window motors, one blown dashboard illumination light, some gearbox whine, intermittent TCS light (only when starting), etc.

But as I'd much rather do my day job than get oil under my fingernails, I'd like to present the car and list to an NSX-savvy garage (our Kaz being inevitably busy, I presume).

So can anyone here suggest someone in the East Midlands to East Anglia/Essex area?

A lot of these threads tend to point owners towards Norton Way Honda in Letchworth: they certainly look after annual servicing, MOT etc on my car and there's usually a few cars around their parking lot. I seem to recall that they have a few techs that underwent initial NSX training way back when.

As well as routine stuff, they also fixed a gearbox speed sensor for me and a slow/noisy window.
    Daily driver: Jaguar iPace HSE
    2000 NSX Coupe, Circuit Blue, was W2NSX now V6NSX
    Renault Megane RS Trophy R
    Other interesting mode of transport: Bell JetRanger

Thanks for nudging my memory. I had forgotten about them. Not too far from Cambridge, either.

I guess the downside is HUK spares prices unless they are happy to fit bits I source?

Hmmm... looking at Kaz' advice on the crank pulley, I dug through my service documents and can see that it wasn't changed by Plans during the timing belt replacement. So that's another niggle on the to-do list.

So far, I'm up to:
    * slow windows
    * one dashboard bulb blown
    * some whining in 1st
    * some vibration felt at idle
    * TCS lamp comes back on (intermittently) at start-up
    * possible minor oil leak (evidence on drive!)
    * crank pulley replacement
    * AC regas (hopefully!)

Quote Originally Posted by goldtop View Post
    Thanks for nudging my memory. I had forgotten about them. Not too far from Cambridge, either.

I guess the downside is HUK spares prices unless they are happy to fit bits I source?
    Barry,

NW have in the past been happy fitting customer supplied OEM parts (as well as the odd aftermarket item) from my personal experience. I haven't been there for a couple of years though. Would be best just to confirm still OK with Bryan Smith, the service manager. Definitely keeps the final bill down..

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Hagasan View Post
    Barry,

NW have in the past been happy fitting customer supplied OEM parts (as well as the odd aftermarket item) from my personal experience. I haven't been there for a couple of years though. Would be best just to confirm still OK with Bryan Smith, the service manager. Definitely keeps the final bill down..

Gary
    Bryan is still there. I use them for all servicing and MOT etc and they have always been happy to use parts that I source. I generally find that the savings from me sourcing the parts, pays for the labour they charge
    Geoff

S21 NSX red 1998 NSX T NA2 3.2 manual with pop ups
    black 2010 Renaultsport RS250
    black 2007 Honda Civic Type R gt......gone but sadly missed
    black 2006 Lexus RX400h

Another vote for NW. They carried out a lot of the initial work on my NSX when I bought it, no issues, good communication.
    As Gary suggested talk to Bryan. I was given a discount on parts at the time so worth asking him about what’s on offer.

Not sure if they're too far away but myself and Kirit (orange NA2) both use Listers Stratford-upon-Avon. They take care with the cars and know enough about them, plus they've always been fine with supplied parts (OEM or after-market).

If you do decide to head over this way, drop me a line, happy to meet for a cuppa while you're waiting...
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

Thanks all - I will speak to Bryan and then get it down to Norton Way. As it is in Letchworth, it's even accessible by train if they don't do a courtesy car.

Extra items on the list:
    * driver's door-open sensor NG
    * fuel filler cap not smoothly aligned with bodywork
    * possible wheel refurb

These are the sorts of middle-age niggles I live with on the old Lexus, but I think ought to be put right on the NSX.

Out of interest, do we know what Honda's official fix for the infamous slow window operation is? I presume they replace the mechanism.

It may be better if I buy from Lings (same for the crank pulley).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast