Thread: Clutch replacement .... And what else to replace?

Default Clutch replacement .... And what else to replace?

I'm getting the parts together for a clutch replacement. Doesn't need doing quite yet, but I want to be ready. For a 1996 (model year 1995), so far I have on my list:

Clutch replacement kit 22000-PR7-305
    Release bearing 22810-PR8-003

Is there anything else which makes sense to do at the same time?

I found a confusing thread on NSXprime which talked about the "main oil seal" 91214-PL2-003 (98x80x10) (NOK). What is that? Is it the gearbox main shaft oil seal? Make sense to replace that at the same time?

Thanks for any advice.

Peter
    1996 Green NSX-T manual

Hi Peter I replaced my clutch in February this year and was recommended by Kaz to replace the following to ensure a factory silky smooth origanol pedal feel and I have to say it certainly felt fantastic once fitted.

Both driveshaft diff oil seals.
    Clutch release bearing fork.
    Release bearing guide turret.
    Speacial grease which is not readily available to buy in the UK (if you would like the small amount to do the job, pm me and I can post some out to you foc)

The reason for the new clutch fork and guide turret is because the small scratches and abrasions over time can cause the clutch pedal to feel rough if not replaced.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1095.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	13152 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1091.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	13153 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1087.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	13154
    Last edited by Pride; 26-09-2017 at 11:18 PM.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Have a look here where we also discussed about the clutch in detail: http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...evision-thread

'main oil seal' is the big seal on the engine side behind the flywheel. It's a must. Depending on miles and heavy clutch use you may also consider the release bearing guide and its fork.

You might also go with 2.7 l of MTF and two new seals in the gearbox at the axles.

Good advice thanks Pride and goldnsx. And sorry I didn't find your gearbox revision thread when I searched before!

Peter
    1996 Green NSX-T manual

Quote Originally Posted by Pride View Post
    The reason for the new clutch fork and guide turret is because the small scratches and abrasions over time can cause the clutch pedal to feel rough if not replaced.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1095.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	13152
    Your release bearing guide looks 10x worse than my was. I can imagine that your clutch pedal is now much more smooth. It looks to me that the humidity in the UK contributes a lot more to the wear of such areas. Is that rust/corrosion on the blank metal?

Hi , Does anyone know the part numbers for the driveshaft diff oil seals, clutch release bearing fork, release bearing guide turret and the main oil seal for a1991 NSX . Also what is the special grease and is it available in the UK.

Does this help?

https://www.amayama.co.nz/en/genuine...sx/E-NA1/14741

you should be able to navigate to the relevant diagrams and parts numbers from here.

not sure about the grease, but if you search Kaz’s blogs you may get your answer before someone else finds it for you
    December '99 GH-NA2 110 series - 6AS62 Type S in Monte Carlo Blue Pearl

Check out my build threads last few pages. It's from when I replaced the clutch assy on my car.
    http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...e-fresh/page12
    Wix

Blog Entries

Parts # as above advices.

For the grease in UK, you can get the Honda Super High Temp Urea grease #08798-9002.

It was on years of back order but got back in stock although with bit extra price tag.

I think it’s about £25 for just 50g tiny pot – size of small egg.
    If the same chemical, green-ish colour.
    Honda one is safe on metal-on-metal as well as metal-on-plastic application.

I prefer the molybdenum fortified dark grey UM264 but very expensive and unless you regularly work on the specific area, never going to finish it as it’s in large tube.

Kaz

Hi, I am going to order the parts but they appear on different pages in the parts catalogue . Can someone please check that I have the the correct part numbers for the diff seals ( 91206-pr8-005 and 91207-pr8-005 ) and the main oil seal ( 91214-pl2-003 ) for my 1991 NSX.