Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imports

Default Imports

I've had my NSX for around six years now and I've got the impression through various conversations over that period that imported NSXs are not as well thought of as, shall we say, 'home market' cars.
    Am I wrong, or what am I missing?

I think this comes about from there being a very limited number of UK cars compared to the larger number of JDM cars. That said, there are still very few NSX available for sale at any one time, so buying on condition is the way to go.
    December '99 GH-NA2 110 series - 6AS62 Type S in Monte Carlo Blue Pearl

Brian Long gives Japan sales 7290,Europe sales 1373. Various threads show numbers for UK

I think a lot of this comes from two causes:-
    - The mainstream market for desirable / classic cars - 'import' is usually seen as a dirty word (unless you're talking uber-rare Ferraris etc.).
    - The fear over (a) unknown history; and (b) not being able to look the owner/seller in the eye.

The reality for *** performance cars is that buying an import can be better than buying a UK car - better spec / JDM-only model / less rust / ...
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

Depends who you are talking to - most people are below average intelligence! As far as I know, Tochigi and Suzaka are both cities in Japan.

A facelift JDM will have xenon headlights as standard. There are Type-Rs and Type-Ss and weird and wacky interior options.

The only drawbacks are a radio that won't work and a speed limiter. And you will probably pay more for the insurance - see the first sentence.

The car will probably be in factory condition, not abused to death, yet the adverts always proclaim 'Genuine UK car...' because of the prejudice.

Mine is the latter, yet I'm utterly baffled by it.

I've bought new Hondas from Belgium before. The fools that paid UK list prices at the time were very keen to tell me that they were worth less secondhand than theirs and that parts wouldn't fit. Even some dozy bint in the insurance company, when it was clear they'd incorrectly supplied an MB windscreen and not an EK one for the Civic...

I've never actually imported a car from Japan. but there is an inverted snobbery/bloodymindedness that makes me want to do it.

It'd be very lonely, being the only Legend KC2 in the vill-age...[/Matt Lucas].
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I've had my NSX for around six years now and I've got the impression through various conversations over that period that imported NSXs are not as well thought of as, shall we say, 'home market' cars.
    Am I wrong, or what am I missing?
    Are you about to sell? If not, then what does it matter. With choice at best limited, the important thing is that you bought on condition/history based on your budget. Parts are available for UKDM and JDM so drive and enjoy it ...
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

The reason I asked was because there's a yellow and black NSX on Pistonheads, which is declared an import. I've been toying with the idea of buying it but I'm suspicious because it's been there for months. Anyway,I don't have the garage space right now, so more of a pipe dream if I'm honest with myself. It did make me wonder about the 'import' question though.
    Thanks for the replies.

If it's straight / legit that looks like a good deal for the money - some decent modifications on it (not sure about the Teins, but otherwise...), and low mileage (if certifiable).

Worth a look, definitely worth inspecting the auction certification from Japan (assuming that's where it came from) or any other documentation. May need someone to translate the Japanese into English though...
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

If JDM imports were a 'problem' then their would be no Type Rs in the country.
    The car is by no means original which may go against it for some people rather than being JDM.
    Seat belt brace for competition harness(?), aftermarket seats, wheels, brakes and suspension may hint at a former life, as could a 6 speed box in a 3 litre car, all wonderful things to some people and complete no, noes for others.
    Could have been superbly over maintained, equally could have been ragged to death, I've no idea.
    Anyway, it's the dual A/C that's the 'surprise and delight' option for me.

10. Default

i don't think i would ever buy a UK nsx. All the ones i have seen have been in pretty poor condition. Pretty on the outside, but mechanically much worse off than the Japanese counterparts (the ones I've seen anyways).

The UK cars usually suffer from rust a lot more than the JDM equivalent due to the daily driver reputation and the salt used on the roads. The body is aluminium so its not serious, but there is nothing worse than trying to un-seize nuts and bolts and alignment arms etc

The japanese cars have much more strict maintenance regimes. For example brakes, up until a few years ago, required an overhaul every two years (and most continue with this despite not being legally required anymore)

Don't get me wrong, there are good and bad examples of both, and most issues arise due to the environment we live in. But me personally, i would never buy a UK car if there was a JDM equivalent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast