Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery charging

1. Default

No definitely not dropped them, they just decided to stop working. Might just be coincidnce, who knows? Anyway I am sorted and now have a plan! Battery is sealed and stays in place, trickle charge clamped to jump start terminal and an earth, good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by gcon45 View Post
    Strange.
    I have sold loads of them and have only seen one faulty one. Well, I say faulty. It looked like it had been driven over, reversed over and parked on.
    I too used to sell them, in fact every time I sold an Optima battery nearly every customer bought one, the number of complaints from failures after the warranty had run out was incredible. Too fragile in my opinion when moved around.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Blog Entries

Just make sure not to confuse yourself between sealed and MF (Maintenance Free) battery.
    Not having the 'cap' doesn’t mean it's sealed battery.
    Honda battery is MF, not sealed type.

There is also glass mat, AGM, wet or whatever it's called that doesn't have fluid slashing inside the cell like the ordinary lead acid battery.
    These tend to survive much longer.
    I use AGM from Panasonic on MX5.
    It's the OEM one and lasts easily more than 10years.

There are many fake CTEK units with poor electronics components inside on the market.
    If you don't like it, you can get the one from TecMate.
    They are sold under the product name such as OptiMate, AccuMate, etc.
    Used by many race teams and I think they started mainly targeting the motorcycle market but now expanded to the larger capacity batteries.

Any way, seems like you are sorted now so please keep driving regularly. Good for your battery as well.

Kaz

Another recommendation for CTEK - used one ever since I bought my car over 7 years ago, and I only needed a new battery when I forgot to connect the CTEK after a winter drive and realised >3 weeks later (5/6y.o. battery by that time).
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

5. Default

I've had a CTEK for 10 plus years. It has seen a lot of use. I cycled it between four rarely or not driven vehicles this past winter. It has spent numerous winters on the S2000, and was used extensively for years at a dealership to recondition dozens of depleted batteries in new and used vehicles. I only need to use it on the S2000 for a day or so every few weeks in the winter, as that car doesn't seem to have the same kind of draw as the NSX. I have a Battery Tender wired with a quick plug in that car.

6. Default

Thanks for all of the advice. All hooked up and led is a green. Its a sealed Honda Battery so should be okay. Still intend to drive it when the weather get better though!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12