Thread: Winter Chassis Re-fresh

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Winter Chassis Re-fresh

I'm hoping people will be able to see this thread of my winter re-fresh, as this seems the only way I can share the photo record. I started last October, mainly just cleaning the underfloor and replacing anything broken, worn or in the case of steel parts, rusty. I'm not finished yet, just waiting for a few parts to arrive from Japan and then after a coolant change, the rebuild can commence. I'll add further pics,as I progress.

Please ask any questions.

https://goo.gl/photos/zwWVhENC98rw84rb8
    Wix

That's a lot of rust. Besides painting I'd put a thin coat of Gurulan PX11a (Vaseline + 10% bee wax, can be bought or mixed by oneself) on the parts that are prone to rust (except brakes of course).

It looks worse than it is. I think lack of use and left outside by previous owner, allowed all the steel parts to get this rusty. Surprisingly, they've all cleaned up ok. I use Vactan and POR15 paint from Frosts. Any rust treatment that's required, I then use Dinitrol.

Thanks for the tip of Gurulan PX11a, I'll look into it.
    Wix

What did you use to clean the spare wheel holder? I have got mine out at the moment so would be a good opportunity to give it a good clean.

I used an assortment of wire brushes in an electric drill to clean most of the crud off. I then use wire wool, to take most of the shine off. All depends on what, if any, finish you want. I just wanted it cleaner than it was.
    Wix

6. Default

Pretty standard rust I think on a used car of that age. Cleaned up well!
    Formula Red NA2
    Imola Orange NA2
    Yellow NA2

Cheers, nice job.