Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My NSX-R wheel project

Default My NSX-R wheel project

Well as no-one posts on this site anymore, I may be talking to myself, but that’s fine. I’m good with that.
    Anyway, a while back, I bought a set of NA2-R wheels from another long-time forum member. I didn’t have a master plan, but I thought I’d just get them powder coated in the elusive washi grey and have an extra set of wheels for the next car. Whatever that is.
    So I bought some grey NA2R wheel centres from Amayama and started looking for the correct colour. That became a massive PITA because pretty much every piece of info on the net is inaccurate. Nothing matches. Which means; 1. The wheel centres are not quite washi grey. Or 2. I just haven’t found the right colour yet. Personally, it annoyed me because if Honda cared about it’s customers it would have made all the paint codes available. But they do not and it’s not the only one. It’s obviously a first world problem. But why shroud it in mystery. Please don’t right in with paint code suggestions. I’ve painted them white now!
    So what are the differences between standard 02 wheels and R wheels. One of the new NSX replica wheel manufacturers would have you believe there is no difference. But I’ve weighed mine and they are lighter.
    NA2R wheels also have their own prefix F = RV720, R = RV721. Standard 02 wheels are 718/719.
    When a wheel is powder coated, it is dipped, then shot blasted to give the paint something to adhere to. Each time this is done, you lose a bit of detail. Whether it’s the sharpness of a design or the serial numbers. My wheels needed painting, but I was reluctant to lose the serial numbers and I wanted a sleeker finish that powder coating can’t quite provide.
    I’m probably splitting hairs, but if you can find someone who can paint wheels, wet painting definitely has it’s advantages. Rhe disadvantages are that they probably won’t wear quite so well. But we’d have to use them for that to matter.
    So, the wheels came back today. They look fantastic, the colour matches the original CW centre caps and you can see the numbers.
    It’s not the be all and end all, but as these cars become more and more valuable, this stuff begins to matter a bit more. Or maybe not 🤔
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

I thought I gave you the code for 'Washi grey' - Desert Silver YR534M. Matches my OE caps anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post
    I thought I gave you the code for 'Washi grey' - Desert Silver YR534M. Matches my OE caps anyway.
    Hi Simon,

I tried the swatch at my local paint shop and it was a bit out. What I probably should have done was get them to spray one out to double check. May try it next time.

Cheers.

Blog Entries

My wheels, even though repainted in Japan not-so-long ago probably need a new coat as well. Seems like with my regular cars I never really took care of the wheels. The old Prelude had aluminium polished wheels. The downside of constant corrosion has the advantage that there's no paint to flake or chip .. maybe not such a bad decision after all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0511fcs.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	14754
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

Our family cars rarely get washed and the alloys get slowly coated with brake dust. I wondered whether it might be kinder to spray them with stone chip before they have a chance to degrade! We’ve never had a nice family car, so I just view them as a depreciating necessity for which I have no love or interest. Maybe it’s time to buy a Prelude.

Blog Entries

True words. My fellow Prelude friend from the days recently bought himself one - he seems very happy with it.
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

Hi James - thanks for posting - I would post more but sadly don't have much to say most of the time.
    On the subject of colouring wheels, would it be possible to anodise NSX wheels, and if so, would this provide the type of fine finish that powder coating can't achieve? Just a thought.
    I found this: - https://fractory.com/aluminium-anodi...inium_Benefits which may be of some use in the future.
    December '99 GH-NA2 110 series - 6AS62 Type S in Monte Carlo Blue Pearl

I nearly made a spontaneous NA2 wheel purchase, but manages reign myself in. You have probably noticed my Build Thread post have dried up too, but that's because I'm overseas until august and my car is just sitting in ML Motorsport waiting on MoT then storage until I get back. Then I will pose about a million photos of my completely refreshed car.

Cheers
    Jim
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

Quote Originally Posted by NZNick View Post
    Hi James - thanks for posting - I would post more but sadly don't have much to say most of the time.
    On the subject of colouring wheels, would it be possible to anodise NSX wheels, and if so, would this provide the type of fine finish that powder coating can't achieve? Just a thought.
    I found this: - https://fractory.com/aluminium-anodi...inium_Benefits which may be of some use in the future.
    I’m a real sucker for anodised parts. Probably from all the years of mountain-biking. At one time that industry couldn’t do anything without anodising the hell out of it. I’ve not heard of doing it with car wheels, but googled it and found some great looking wheels with great finishes. I always wanted to put some trans red or green wheels on my black car, but never had the nerve to do it.
    Going back to wet painted vs powder coated. I just prefer the wet painted finish. It’s arguably a bit marginal, but it just looks better to me.
    Reference not posting much. Things have just changed. I there is no nexus of members enthusiastically organising meets and track days, and our cars are worth too much!

Cheers.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by mutley View Post
    I nearly made a spontaneous NA2 wheel purchase, but manages reign myself in. You have probably noticed my Build Thread post have dried up too, but that's because I'm overseas until august and my car is just sitting in ML Motorsport waiting on MoT then storage until I get back. Then I will pose about a million photos of my completely refreshed car.

Cheers
    Jim
    Hi Jim,

I think your build thread is the best thing to happen to NSXCB for a while. I look forward to seeing the rest of the story.
    I’m terrible for perusing the classified looking for parts. Most of which I absolutely do not need. Wheels are my biggest weakness. If I had the money, I’d have a stockpile of them. Certainly; type-S, NA2R, Ce28’s, mugen mf 10’s and maybe some Enkei nt-03’s. But there’s probably £40k’s worth of wheels there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast