Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Formula 1

And now it goes from bad to worse for McLaren/Honda, read this:

McLaren CRISIS Uncovered: Team could face choice between Fernando Alonso and Honda - Express
    https://apple.news/AYr9kiyycO3-1L8fZO1iTzw
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

I really, really hope that I am wrong, but McLaren look like a team in terminal decline. Whilst they have a factory engine deal, the performance of the car/team since they gave up the customer Mercedes engine has been shocking. As a consequence they struggle to get sponsorship, there is continual internal termoil and now it seems Fred's patience is wearing thin.
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Eric Boullier was asked yesterday how he felt McLaren would be doing if they were running the Mercedes engine.

"We'd be winning races"

McLaren-Honda heading for divorce?

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Mclaren (who are better at PR) are saying it's all Honda.

Honda are saying the engine works fine on the bench.

...which suggests to me that it's (at least partly) an installation / packaging issue - recall the problems RedBull had a few seasons ago with engine reliability which was traced to the tight packaging in Newey's chassis.

Not sure how that squares away with the engine sound though - sub-optimal exhaust design? But surely that'd be one of the key things to get right...
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

The whole situation is gutting.

My only hope is that they will be a bit quicker once the reliability issues have been sorted.

The new Fireblade isn't setting the world superbike scene alight either.

Dark days for Honda.
    Last edited by gcon45; 16-03-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Mercedes would not let another team with their engine win the championship I guess. No alternative for McLaren and Honda at the moment.
    If they are lacking topspeed it will be hard to watch the races (except Alonso's sharp remarks on the radio ).

I just don't understand how a company who have been a hybrid engine pioneer can get it so wrong again and again.

"McLaren have made an exploratory approach to Mercedes about engine supply in the wake of problems with partner Honda."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39290908

Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Quote Originally Posted by WhyOne? View Post
    "McLaren have made an exploratory approach to Mercedes about engine supply in the wake of problems with partner Honda."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39290908

It's a catch 22.

They are never going to win championships as a Mercedes customer.

I do believe Honda will come good but it'll probably be a few seasons away, by which time Alonso will have high tailed it.

Could they not get Kaz on board?

It's all Fernando's fault anyway. Since the 2007 espionage debacle and 2008's Renault 'crashgate' he's brought a curse with him wherever he has went

I wonder what he'd give to be behind the wheel of the prancing horse this year...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast