Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Formula 1

Watching the Canada event I so wanted Alonso's engine to hang on, like so many of us I'm sure ... Its commercially killing McLaren, and has probably not helped NSX sales for Honda ... had they got it right then their road going hybrid sports car may well have been flying out the showroom ... but showing their hybrid technology blowing at every race hardly installs confidence ... I would be surprised if one of the spare Manor engines hasn't already found its way to Woking for chassis install testing ...
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Whilst I agree that the (non)performance of the team is doing neither partner any favours commercially, I really don't think the new NSX was ever going to 'fly out of the showrooms'.

Look at the 1980's, Honda was showing the rest of the world how to build racing engines. Off the back of this success Honda attempted to capitalise in the showrooms by producing a technically advanced car and engine, both beautifully engineered, and notably better than the offerings from Ferrari and Porsche at the time. As we all know, the car never acheived anything like the sales success it deserved, especially in the UK market, one of F1's strongholds. This, despite Honda engined cars continuing to win F1 races whilst the NSX was on sale.
    Last edited by WhyOne?; 16-06-2017 at 03:42 PM.
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

^ well said that man !
    December '99 GH-NA2 110 series - 6AS62 Type S in Monte Carlo Blue Pearl

That's more like F1 should be, except for the German road rage!

So true. Well, the road rage was nothing compared to Piquet against Salazar back in 1982. Vettel payed for that as he gave away 13 points and might think about his action at the end of the season.

Happy to see Alonso getting 2 points.

Let's go on to the Mickey Mouse track in Austria where normally no race would/should happen...

It was certainly compelling and entertaining viewing, but it was a series of accidents and bizarre events rather than too much out and out racing....Danny Ric's overtaking of the 2 Willy's into turn one at the final safety car restart was brilliant though...which made this such a memorable race IMHO.

Sebastian picked up another 3 points on his licence - thats now 9 within the last 12 months, 3 more and he gets a 1 race ban.

Max is due a change of fortune.

And both McLaren's made it too the line!!!!
    Last edited by WhyOne?; 25-06-2017 at 04:59 PM.

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Well done to Alonso and the McLaren team taking Pole in yesterday's qually session ....

I had just returned home from business, turned on the TV and threw my hands in the air at the end of the lap .... I know it was only Q1, and he was (almost) the only one on slicks, but what a great feeling to see him and McLaren on top!!

now cross your fingers for some mixed weather and whilst Lewis delights all with a win, let's see Max and Alonso complete what would be a stunning podium ....

As for Palmer, mechanical issues aside, I feel his time on track has been underwhelming and he will be back as an instructor for Daddy next year ... Or racing in Clios ....
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

I have just home after a week in Malaysia, including 3 days at Sepang. It is such a good place to watch F1 cars and a great shame it wont be on the calendar next year.

I've got over 500 photo's to sort through, but here a few which hopefully give a flavour of both Sepang and the weekend.

Tickets for Friday give access to all public viewing areas so I spent my time in the tower over the hairpin at the end of the back straight and it the main grandstand over overlooking the start finish straight and the pits - interesting for Practice, but not a great place to watch the race IMHO.

Practice 1 was somewhat wet....

Sparks and spray

2R4C6400 by Whyone, on Flickr

Lewis during one of Mercedes worst Fridays for a long, long time.
    2R4C6403 by Whyone, on Flickr

The Force India 'stegasaurus' rear fin on Ocon's car:
    2R4C6388 by Whyone, on Flickr

2R4C6423 by Whyone, on Flickr
    Last edited by WhyOne?; 03-10-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Horrid!
    2R4C6379 by Whyone, on Flickr

Better...even with flow-viz paint
    2R4C6494 by Whyone, on Flickr

All go in the Ferrari pit:
    2R4C6557 by Whyone, on Flickr

Not the most popular man in F1 just now...
    2R4C6570 by Whyone, on Flickr

Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Honda, ready and prepared for the big event....nearly...
    2R4C6522 by Whyone, on Flickr

I got to wish Max 'Happy Birthday' on Saturday, and received a piece of his birthday cake for my trouble!
    2R4C6661 by Whyone, on Flickr
    Last edited by WhyOne?; 03-10-2017 at 04:48 PM.

Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast