Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are the NC-1 sales slow or the market fickle?🤔

Picked up a new daily at the weekend but happened to buy it from a Honda dealer who had an NC1 in the showroom. Got chatting with the salesman who was rather open with sales discussions. He claimed to have recently sourced an NC1 for a customer buying it in at £205K and selling on for £210K. Seems that people are paying the advertised premiums!

Olly

An interesting video opinion about the NSX US sales at the moment.

https://youtu.be/S75IpjT1yoc
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Pride View Post

What a knob. He's right, the new NSXs aren't the same as his car. They haven't been hit hard and pieced back together.

Whilst I'm opinion-free on the NC1 and it's price/value, The King has hit the nail right on the head. What a whiny knob-jockey that bloke is!
    Daily driver: Jaguar iPace HSE
    2000 NSX Coupe, Circuit Blue, was W2NSX now V6NSX
    Renault Megane RS Trophy R
    Other interesting mode of transport: Bell JetRanger

Quote Originally Posted by The King View Post
    What a knob. He's right, the new NSXs aren't the same as his car. They haven't been hit hard and pieced back together.
    Maybe this guy's opinion might not annoy you too much, but then again....😎

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byor0xThYE0
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Pride View Post

Sorry, I lasted for about 60 seconds.

Apparently a $30K discount has pretty-much cleared all of the unsold 2017 Acura NSXs now.

Tends to support those who had the view that the car was perceived as overpriced in the first place.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

All this was caused by the US Acura dealers insisting on floor stock, which goes against the built-to-order ethos of the NC1 - it was bound to happen, and will happen again if there are so many (100+) non-customer ordered cars floating around.
    Some speculators managed to flip their early orders for a profit, but that very soon dried up, any many, including Acura dealers, were left holding a baby, that while very, very competent, was no longer the new in-thing, and thus got burnt in the fire sale. This demonstrates the fickle nature of (US in particular) high-end car buyers - they want the exclusivity of the new must-have, but when that same car has been out of few months, it can no longer be en-vogue, and thus is an overpriced dinosaur, and can only be redeemed by being picked up for a bargain basement price!
    Madness!
    Meanwhile, the rest of the world gets on with ordering and receiving individual customer specced cars (at numbers that will ensure exclusivity for years to come), without fuss or drama.
    December '99 GH-NA2 110 series - 6AS62 Type S in Monte Carlo Blue Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by NZNick View Post
    Meanwhile, the rest of the world gets on with ordering and receiving individual customer specced cars (at numbers that will ensure exclusivity for years to come), without fuss or drama.
    Not quite or it depends on the region. I see most of the cars in Switzerland and Germany sitting in the dealers showroom for a very long time...they just don't add to around 200 cars like in the US. I know the statistics of new sales and they are very low. So these cars in the showroom are not just demonstrators.

Maybe, I would have been better to limit production like Toyota did with the LFA.

^ Indeed, that was my point. If you build showroom cars that are not solely a demonstrator car, then it will sit for months, years until either 1 of 2 things happens:

1 - someone walks in off the street and hands over a suitcase of cash because they must have that particular car now (& can't be bothered to wait to get one built to their possibly unique specification), or
    2 - the price of the showroom floor model is slashed to bring it down to another level.

2 is much more likely then 1, as witnessed in the USA.

Built to order should be just that - not some half & half compromise that is causing 2 markets - customer ordered cars, and ex-dealer stock cars, which cost the customer up to 35% less than those that had theirs built to order.....
    December '99 GH-NA2 110 series - 6AS62 Type S in Monte Carlo Blue Pearl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast