Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public Vote for Cars that changed the world - NSX

1. Default Public Vote for Cars that changed the world - NSX

HONDA’S FAMED NSX IN RUNNING FOR READERS’ AWARD
    23/02/17 from Honda Print this page

The legendary Honda NSX has been shortlisted for a prestigious award recognising the cars that changed the world.

The brand’s affordable supercar, which rewrote the sports car rulebook when it was first launched in 1990, is one of 39 game-changing models in the running to be named Autocar Readers’ Champion.

The winner, which will be announced at the Autocar Awards in May, will be decided in a public poll.

To register your vote for the Honda NSX visit http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/in...aders-champion

Philip Webb, head of cars at Honda (UK), said: “The launch of the Honda NSX was not only a major landmark in the history of our brand but also in the evolution of the modern sports car.

“It was truly ground-breaking at the time and carved itself a special place in both automotive history and the hearts of car enthusiasts everywhere.

“We’re delighted Autocar has recognised the impact the original NSX had on the motoring landscape by shortlisting it for this award.”

First launched 27 years ago, the NSX, or New Sportscar eXperimental, was the first mass produced car in the world to feature an all-aluminium lightweight body.

It’s heart-stopping performance came from its outstanding 3.0 litre V6 and was enhanced by advanced aerodynamics.

With styling inspired by the cockpit of an F-16 fighter jet, the model’s legendary status was boosted by the fact three-time F1 champion Ayrton Senna was heavily involved in its development.

Following in the revolutionary footsteps of the original, a new and equally exciting hybrid-powered Honda NSX was launched last year.

It features a hand-built 3.5 litre twin-turbocharged V6 engine, mid mounted to an aluminium chassis and mated to a nine-speed Dual Clutch Transmission for instant response. This can propel the supercar from 0 to 62mph in under three seconds and on to a top speed of over 190mph.
    Mike

I've given the NSX my vote. My money is on the Miura though, after all it got the super car ball rolling.
    I'd be happy for the McLaren F1 to win, my dream lottery win car!!
    Dave
    Berlina Black NA2 6 speed manual - Sold

NSX for me bless it, but sorry guys this is Autocar magazine, the Golf will win hands down.😳
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Without intending to start the interminable debate on what car should have been included and why a particular car is included (which is probably exactly what I've done) the Trabant? Really? If the poll is to determine the car that changed the world surely the only real winner is the Model T. The first mass produced car that the masses could afford.

Nonetheless I would vote for the NSX
    1999 3.2 Manual NA2 Targa in Formula Red

I agree, the truly world changing car on the list is the Model-T.

I also think the Tesla has a valid shout - for a car company to go from a standing start a few short years ago to where it is now (albeit still far from profitable) producing cars which are sellng well and are so fundamentally different from the mainstream is remarkable.

Notwithstanding the above, I of course voted for the NSX
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

I reckon if all the members on this forum got several email addresses each and voted we still won't see the NSX in the top 3.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

unfortunately the porsche beetle is on the list, and there's thousands and thousands of them!!!
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

There's various factors to consider. The model T started it all but does that make it the best? The Miura started the super car era, then the NSX lifted the bar in terms of how one should be built. The Golf started the hot hatch era etc. It will just probably come down to individual favourites, and your right there's thousands of beetles out there.
    Dave
    Berlina Black NA2 6 speed manual - Sold

It's all a distraction, really.

Which is most significant - the Lambda's low-built steel monocoque, or the NSX's spot-welded aluminium one?

Discuss ad nauseam...
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Quote Originally Posted by dcnsx View Post
    There's various factors to consider. The model T started it all but does that make it the best? The Miura started the super car era, then the NSX lifted the bar in terms of how one should be built. The Golf started the hot hatch era etc. It will just probably come down to individual favourites, and your right there's thousands of beetles out there.
    It is not a vote for "The Best" but for "the cars that changed the world". Hence the Model T, IMHO. If it were the best then that would be far more contentious and, of course, the Model T would not be on the list or any other car from more than 20 years or so ago.

I owned a Series 1 OTS 'E' type for many years. A superb car and definitely worth being on the list. But compared to the NSX as being a better car - no contest. The NSX runs rings around it, if only because when I travel somewhere I know I will get there in the NSX in comfort; that was never the case with the E Type! And the technology is 50 years further on - in 1960 this was certainly the best car and revolutionary. That's why this list is much more intetresting than the subjective "Best car ever".
    1999 3.2 Manual NA2 Targa in Formula Red

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast