Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My gearbox revision thread

Thanks for documenting all this!

This will help me a lot when doing my gearbox. I have some whiny gearbox noises in fifth gear and also a little gearbox leaver movement when getting on and off throttle in fifth. The housing of my gearbox looks to be replaced at one point. I assume it was a snap ring issue. I think the one who did the install messed up the clearance of at least one gearbox shaft.

I was hugely lucky right before Christmas. Found a near complete set of gearbox rebuild parts about 4 streets away from my house for about 2/3 the current price including parts that are NLA. I didn't even know there was another NSX nearby. Christmas gift to myself

Bernhard

Quote Originally Posted by ozon02 View Post
    "the 5th gear was making some kind of the sound of marbles at 1500 rpm cruising around."

may be ball bearing in flywell issue?
    Haven't checked that so far but will do for sure. Anyway, a complete new clutch will be installed.

I think that the 'sound of marbles' in 5th was more due to the play between the worn synchro sleeve teeth of that gear (see pic above) and maybe the sleeve/hub (I didn't see yet). In 4th at 1500 rpm the noise was not there but would have been too if it was a bearing. I first thought about the countershaft bearing with the snap-ring in as it's the nearest to the 5th gear and is prone to go bad but it was really like new (surprised). I think Kaz is spot-on with his explanation even though I rarely shift from 4th at WOT in 5th (speed limit here 120 km/h) but I do drive in 5th >80% of time (fuel saving, haha). Also, I'm CTSCed. So it could be just wear and the popping out on the German Autobahn back in 2008. More over this, the 5th gear needed a little bit more force to engage when the gearbox was cold but was ok when warmed up.
    In my friends tranny the synchro sleeve teeth were worn also BUT not like mine. The teeth looked like rounded off you normally see when a gear grinds while shifting.

Blog Entries

The later design 5th shift fork is interchangeable without other parts involved. Just the craw/fork strengthened by new shape. Just remember to replace the spring washer.

You already found the answer for the sleeve and hub orientation. The tiny groove on the sleeve and the channel or the diameter of the collar of the hub show the orientation.

Despite the usage of the straight edge, I never felt confidence in selecting the shim using that A+B or A-C measuring method.
    I just use it as an initial guidance and move on to the final inspection target of 0.14 – 0.21mm.
    You don’t need the SST.
    After tapping the mainshaft gently, just use the dial gauge and pull up/out the mainshaft using whatever the method you have and then decide the thickness of the shim.

I think now you are aware that there is no problem using the 2 x shim.

Are you servicing the DF?
    If not, just replace all of the oil seals and leave these outer race for the tapered bearings on both side of the DF.
    Otherwise, you will be forced to replace not just the outer race but also the tapered bearing at the same time.
    If you have to, CL case one with oil guide ring is not too bad as you can punch it out from behind.
    For the trans case one, normally people will tell you to heat up the case using the heater gun or very hot but not boiling water but I never had any luck using this method.
    It just doesn’t want to come out or even move a tiny bit.
    For this, I use the commercially available race removal tool that hooks the race edge from inside while heating up the case with the heater gun.
    If the race is not on the gbox, you could use the welding trick but too scared for this area.

Kaz

Thanks for all your replys, esp. to Kaz.

Today I've replaced the bearing in the clutch case and the bearing races of the diff. As the diff bearing come complete as a set I'll replace the ones on the diff too.

The bearing in the clutch case was tricky to press out. There's a special tool (adjustable bearing puller) from Honda I didn't have. So we (with some helping hands) have used the tools available. As you can see we had to improvise a little bit to pull it out as straight as possible. Heating up the case helped too. For the new bearing a press was used. Note that the two little holes in the bearing are facing upwards.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2377.JPG 
Views:	273 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	12787

Both diff bearing races were pretty simple to get out. Just had to work out in what order. For the 90 mm one you hammer on the oil guide plate first. As soon it's free it leans against the race. So you hammer (with great care of course) until both are out. You have to install the oil guide plate first. Then you press in the race. There were some small marks in the races.

Name:	IMG_2384.JPG 
Views:	293 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	12792 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2380.JPG 
Views:	284 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	12789 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2386.JPG 
Views:	288 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	12793

Next week I'll change the bearings on the diff and then will do the adjustment procedure of the shim at the 75 mm bearing. Till now, a 2.09 shim was used.

I'll set my diff to NSX-R. There a great video on youtube about how to install the additional spring and new plate.
    Last edited by goldnsx; 30-12-2016 at 06:43 PM.

A view on the oil pump. There are two marks. When I turned the case around the little spring and ball on the lower right to the oil pump fell out. Now it's installed correctly.

Name:	IMG_2383.JPG 
Views:	276 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	12795

The release bearing guide showed some wear. 190k km, dirt and no lubricating might have added to this. I think I'm replacing it.

Name:	IMG_2378.JPG 
Views:	278 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	12794

I had a hard time to take the snap-ring out of the case, no fun job. What a beast!

Mainshaft adjustment
    Thanks for your remarks on that. How hard do I have to pull (in kg?) on the mainshaft to measure the targeted 0.14-0.21 mm? Can I use wrapped pliers on the mainshaft and pull it by hand?

EDIT: just came across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEjwISEuyPU
    Fast forward to 10:00 where he mentions to check it by hand.

Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by goldnsx; 31-12-2016 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darock View Post
    I have some whiny gearbox noises in fifth gear and also a little gearbox leaver movement when getting on and off throttle in fifth.
    If it does this I'd check the snap ring immediately by opening the big screw (1/2 driver) and see if it looks broken like the one of asylum recently. You don't want to have to replace more parts than needed.

Good luck!
    Last edited by goldnsx; 31-12-2016 at 09:40 AM.

I went on with the clutch job today. I was surprised to see that the discs still had 7.9 and 7.3 mm, not bad for 130k km on them. The red circle points to the roughness but the pic doesn't represent it so good related to the flash light.

Name:	IMG_2392.JPG 
Views:	273 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	12796 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2402.JPG 
Views:	265 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	12798

Not so nice was the mid plate:

Name:	IMG_2398.JPG 
Views:	262 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	12797 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2399.JPG 
Views:	263 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	12799 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2400.JPG 
Views:	260 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	12800
    Last edited by goldnsx; 31-12-2016 at 05:52 PM.

Will you be changing the clutch release bearing and release fork at the same time goldnsx???
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

... and the flywheel:

Name:	IMG_2407.JPG 
Views:	255 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	12803 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2406.JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	12804

For the future, I think I've left my 'wild years' behind me. Whenever I think about 0-100 times or other silly things I'll have these pics in mind.

The release bearing was good but not perfect, some little noise. I've taken a video of it. The flywheel bearing was ok too.

As a new clutch is ready to be installed I'll replace it even though the old one would have been good to go for many, many miles but out is out.

Pride: Good point, yes, I'll change the clutch fork too. It was worn quite a lot and I think that this added to the suspicious 'knocking noise' I have observed. The noise went immediately away when I lightly pressed the clutch pedal. Too much play between the shift fork and the release bearing I guess.
    Last edited by goldnsx; 31-12-2016 at 05:36 PM.

Happy New Year!

Additions to the broken 2nd synchro. I've tried to replicate why the dual cone synchro was misaligned when mounting it. When you place it in the sleeve the inner ring tends to hang on the bearing and is pushed upwards out of the synchro set. If you mount it you have to push on the inner synchro ring to make sure that doesn't happen.

So, how not to mount it:

Name:	IMG_2387_Montagefehler.JPG 
Views:	268 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	12805

Another question about the mainshaft clearance adjustment. In the initial step I've measured 1.20 mm. When I move on to the final clearance inspection how much has to be corrected? +-0.10 or +-0.20 or even more? I'm going to order the shims in 0.05 steps in the required range (before I spend too much money on ordering all possible shims ).

Thanks again!
    Last edited by goldnsx; 01-01-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast