Thread: Moving to Toronto

Default Moving to Toronto

Mixture of excitement and fear... I just accepted a job offer meaning a move to Toronto. Selling up the house, pension cash in, selling two buy to let's and, wait for it... ALL the car collection.

The 85 3.2 Carrera ... gone
    The 1971 Datsun 240Z... gone
    Caynam S... gone
    1967 SWB 912 hot rod... advertised
    1990 MX5 ... about to be advertised

Just leaves the NSX. Graham from Plan Performance collected the car yesterday from me. Advert just gone live...

Contact Graham if you are interested in the car. Contact me if you want any owner information...

Excitement winning over fear... just...
    2004 Red Coupe

Wow, that's a bit of a change Gary!

Best of luck with the new job...have you sorted accomodation out yet? Remember from when we were there (wife has family about an hour outside Toronto) that traffic was typical big-city log-jam, but they didn't have the public transport infrastructure of e.g. London / NYC, so you may want to plan housing around commute, to a degree...lots going on in that general area though.

Nice place though, and a nice feel overall to Canada - sounds like this is a long-term thing for you. Any thoughts about rebuilding the fleet once you're over there? Nice big V8 maybe?!?
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

It is a big move. I'm 55, so we think it's for at least 5 years. Housing is very, expensive. We are therefore selling up to stretch ourselves. House prices are shooting up.

Agree with you about infrastructure. Hence our plan to move to Moore Park area. 15 min commute on subway.

I might take the 912 to Canada. It's a LHD.. see carandclassic advert. I love it.

NSX seem a lot cheaper in NA. BaT has shifting some very nice examples recently. But probably go down the early 911 route. I'm not keen on muscle cars. I like light weight cars. Invest in a dozen cars to bring back to U.K. Pension funds need stuff!
    2004 Red Coupe

LoL!

Given the cars you seem to enjoy a classic 911 seems just right, and easy enough to find a good one quite quickly out there. You'd probably find a nice Z out there too - they seemed to appreciate them more than we did...
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

My wife and I lived there for 3 years and loved it. We were in Bloor West Village, just west of High Park. It's a similar commute time by subway to downtown as Moore Park. Most of the houses were built around 1900 and quite attractive. Historically there were a lot of Polish and Ukranian immigrants lived there so there were some great delis and pierogi shops.
    We took the opportunity to get Canadian citizenship. You can still keep your British passport. These days Canada is holding to a set of liberal political values which seem to be going out of fashion in other parts of the world. I still have a big soft spot for the place. My kids, who also have dual nationality, are grateful to me for having given them the possibility to live and work in Canada .... especially since they are disappointed that other options are likely to disappear.
    I'm sure you'll have a great time there.

Peter
    1996 Green NSX-T manual

6. Default

Moving to Canada eh? Congratulations on the new job. House prices in Toronto (and Vancouver) are high compared to most places here. If you purchase wisely, and plan to stay five years or so, you'll probably do all right.(as long as another global recession doesn't hit.)
    It's a shame you have to sell your NSX. These cars are cheaper here, but fixed headlight coupes are pretty much nonexistent. There is quite a large group of owners in Ontario that get together on a regular basis to enjoy their cars. Now that our business is sold, I hope to make one of their events at some point.

If you can bring your 912 for a reasonable cost, it's probably a good plan. The market for these air cooled cars appears to be very strong at this time. Good luck with the move and your new job. Oh yeah, any chance of talking Kaz into moving to Nova Scotia before you leave?

Blog Entries

All the best, gturner008. Nice city and lovely country!
    Several very active NSX owners on Prime and FB.
    Winter weather is going to be interesting....

Kaz

Agree with Kaz, all the best, take care and always pop on here in off topic section to give updates. I lived in USA for a while many many years ago. Get some ski gear together lol.

I also lived in Maine which I loved and would settle now if I was in better health.
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。