Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Light Issues...

Default Oil Light Issues...

Hello All,

Just a quickie, my car had a large service about 1000 miles ago at Norton Way. Driving home last week the red (top left) oil light came on. I pulled over immediately and called for help (Papalazarou to the rescue so to speak) and waited for the oil to drain down, about 30 mins+. When the light came on the pressure guage was showing about 7, where it sits most of the time.

Anyway when I checked the oil on the dipstick it is very clean (the oil that is) and was toching the upper most drilled hole which I assume means it is 'full' so to speak. I actually at this point only being a few miles from home summized that it has to be a fault with the switch / sender for the light - as full oil pressure and oil to the top marker on the dip stick in my simple mind means there are no low oil problems...or I hope so...and drove back.

I had a lot on this weekend so didn't drive the car or deal with the problem, but got back in this morning and checked the oil again, exactly the same, so started it up and drove to work. Light flickered a bit and then went off after a mile or so...and stayed off for 60 miles, and then made a re-appearence a few miles from work again. I would like to try and find out the problem before getting the RAC to take the car to my local Honda garage and save a few hundred quid if possible on diagnosis, does anyone know anything that might shed some light on this for me...? Any coments greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Matt.
    From my mentor: 'Remember, with great power, comes great responsibility' K.Cooke 2007

2. Default

AS you know Matt I dont know a lot about this sort of thing but when it comes on if you give the top of the dash above the light a good thump then seeing if the light goes on/off with each bang may be a good diagnosis for a faulty light.

I dont normally add my 2ps on a tech qu but I cant see how this vcan do any harm and a good thump would sort out most things on the old man's Sh1tr0ns!
    1998S 3.2 red/black manual 4 years of great memories
    2004 54 red/red manual

---------------------------------------------------
    Quote autocar Nov 2005

"Before the NSX supercars were crap"

Have you spoked to Norton Way to see what oil they used etc ??

Think it was Castrol SLX or maybe GTX...haven't had time to breath today so haven't spoken to them, plus they are about 150 miles away so I can't really pop it back to them to have a look at. Will call though and speak to Brian this afternoon...

The oil is on the receipt in the boot though I think....
    From my mentor: 'Remember, with great power, comes great responsibility' K.Cooke 2007

Simple thought, but have you checked connection to the engine sender unit? POssibility that the mechanic has caught/knocked it during the service?

regards
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

No where is that? I haven't done anything but check the oil so far...and I haven't had time to download the manual either to find where things are

found this on Prime, where is it refering to, perhaps this is the faulty bit?

What Turns On The "Oil" Dash Light?
    [BSC - 2001/6/5] The oil pressure switch on the oil cooler is only for the oil pressure light on the dash - not the oil pressure gauge. When the oil pressure goes below a certain value, the oil pressure switch on the cooler causes the oil light to illuminate. The oil pressure sending unit is located on the driver's side of the front head - below the VTEC solenoid.

8. Default

Sounds too technical for you mate :wink:

Get Dan or James down there to have a butchers!

Have you tried the good old give it a wallop technique or have you dismissed my suggestion as stupid and lanky? :twisted:
    2004 54 red/red manual

Quote autocar Nov 2005

Yup, both stupid and lanky - stick to numbers mate ;-)

I will mount an investigation this week....

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuietOne
    Yup, both stupid and lanky - stick to numbers mate ;-)
    MO FO - if you aint knocked it then don't knock it !? :?

Thought it would be worth a bash!
    2004 54 red/red manual

Quote autocar Nov 2005

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast