Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: collecting parts for winter project.....

Default collecting parts for winter project.....

today i received a big box from Isicar in Japan....

a BIG box!!!!

unpacked to get all this....

with the help of Kaz, posts on here, posts on prime and scouring the internet i have most of the bits for an ABS conversion....
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

i say 'conversion' as i'm currently going the s2000 abs module route...

to that end i have this...

i realise that the programming will be a different balance to the proper 2002+ NSX unit, but my reasoning is that my brakes and wheel sizes are different from the 2002+ car, and even the 1997+ cars had a braking system that was modified to move the brake bias to the rear, so my '92 car is different anyway, having early brakes and big wheels! my ABS useage is for the panic breaking stability side of things, i don't drive it in a manner that needs ABS cadence braking assistance where critical slip angles for optimum cornering ability at the limits is required... it's my daily driver and an auto after all!!!

as you may notice there is an excess of abs pumps... i'm not mad, it was just a slight error!

the first pump i bought was just the pump, for a whole £30, as the plan was to buy the conversion loom and go from there. then after more research, looking at many conversion loom pics, wiring diagrams, etc, i decided not to let my education go to waste and make my own.

soooo... i purchased another S2000 ABS pump, this time with a plug pigtail, £28!

now, as you probably have heard in various posts, there are TCS issues using the S2000 abs pump as the S2000 doesn't use the system the same way, but the pins are present on the pump....

and as Kaz mentioned in his blog, a quick check on a unit he was configuring for one of his clients showed that a signal was present on the one channel he tested. i shall be checking the other channels on the bench just to make sure, if not i have a plan B just in case!

of course, as the S2000 doesn't use these pins on the ABS pump, there are no connections in the plug. so i have to source another plug. this pushes me towards the after market harness again, so i found another ABS pump, this time from and HRV, with the correct plug pigtail! yet another pump is a pain, but at £14 delivered, it's ok, maybe a little extravagant when it works out to be £14 for just the 4 connectors i want!!! oh well!!

after a bit of fiddling, working out what locking mechanisms are in place, making tools, the extra 4 wires are in the S2000 ABS plug....

you may notice in the first pic is a bag of solid state relays for the ABS warning light circuit (though i have seen wiring looms with conventional automotive relays) and a bag of connectors for the ABS computer end of the loom... so pretty much there apart from some wire to join the dots..... the loom pics i've seen typically use a couple of multicore cables for the signal wires so straight forward, though i might use some twisted pair cable for the ABS sender signal connections, just to reduce noise as it's on a longer wire run....

... and i may of accidentally polished the motor cover, don't know how that happened!
    Last edited by britlude; 18-09-2016 at 10:06 AM.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

You are one brave engineer Jon, attempting that mod with those parts. 👏

Good luck anyway mate,
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

:goesandgrabspopcorn:

I'll just strap myself in here for the show!

Good luck Jon...look forward to seeing the first steampunk NSX...
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

Quote Originally Posted by Pride View Post
    You are one brave engineer Jon, attempting that mod with those parts. 

all the hardware, apart from the pump, is OEM for the 2002+ NSX, the pump is the same physical unit and has the same pinout (subject to confirming TCS outputs) except one wire ('WALP' a diagnostic wire) which can move should i get hold of an OEM pump.... and the loom is just joining the dots from the old loom connector at the ABS computer and the new pump.

got to run wires between the 2 for the 4 pairs of wires from the abs sensors at the wheels ( where i'll use the twisted pair wires) then there's a pair of fat power leads (40A plus), 4 tcs wires, alb light via a relay, scs diagnosis wire, and ignition feed, a brake light feed and a couple of fat earth leads to the chassis....

one source was this thread on prime... http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...ABS-conversion but he didn't investigate the TCS side of things....

...thinking about it, i might as well bin the WALP connection, even with the NSX abs unit i won't have the rest of the connection for a diagnostic port! (so 16 data wires to connect, 8 of which will be in a twisted pair cable....)

from Kaz's post http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?157...Refresh-etc-01 here's the type of thing....

as you can see the white connectors haven't actually got many wire connections!
    aka Jonathan!!

just for reference as they are already hosted on this site..... (and saves me googling if i lose the printouts...)

S2000 ABS connector pinout....

and the 2002+ NSX ABS connector....

just to be awkward the diagrams drawn the other way around!

the S2000 ABS unit has all the required pins, just got to confirm the 4 extra ones have the TCS outputs on them...
    aka Jonathan!!

wires purchased...

18 wires available for signals!! for the 4 ABS signal wires it was cheaper to buy a twisted pair audio cable to chop up, than have to buy a 30M reel and use 1/10th of it!!!! and the majority of the twisted pair cables were single strand.. ok for a permanent setup, but in a vibrating car would be bad news!

ABS pump fits in the cradle

whoever says you can use a S2000 cradle just by removing the extra tripod mount bit is, how shall i put it... exaggerating

i've also got some small connectors en-route, i've seen looms with a mi-point join, with small connectors, allowing a smaller connector block to go through the firewall gland. i'll see how big the are in reality then decide if i'm going to do that!
    Last edited by britlude; 25-09-2016 at 07:00 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

This project that you're attempting Jonathan is just crazy.
    Didnt someone once say that the first sign of a genius is lunacy, if so then I think you must be a right loon.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

crazy??? its nothing that hasn't been done before......and by members of this very forum ......
    aka Jonathan!!

Blog Entries

Posted the same info on nsxprime but some of the visitors here may not see it so I'll just cut and paste it.

You already have my parts list for this modification so I'm glad you went for the NSX specific bracket and not modifying the AP1 one.

I'm also very interested in your feedback regarding the w/speed signal output for the TCS as I only managed to test one corner at very low speed by just spinning the wheel by hand.

Here goes the cut and paste.
    Glad this is not your build thread as I prefer that thread in your style leaving the detail by referring to another thread outside of the 'Build' one;

Based on what I saw on other ABS modulators, NA2 NSX-R (no TCS from the factory) and the brief test carried out for another owner using AP1 ABS, unless AP1 ABS software is disabling the w/speed signal output above certain car speed, TCS should work and no TCS light.

I only checked one corner at very low speed but the w/speed signal output was available from AP1 modulator

There are several owners who installed the NA2 NSX-R ABS on their standard NSX and so far, no TCS light being triggered.

As you know, NSX-R didn't have TCS from the factory but the 4 x w/speed signal for the TCS seemed to be enabled on the ABS modulator.
    However, most of the above owners had their TCS disabled in the past and thus, no more TCS light even the IG key in P2 so their feedback could be not 100% correct.

By now, I was hoping one UK owner to have already installed the AP1 ABS modulator with the modified T3TEC loom for AP1 usage on his NSX but it won’t happen until later this winter so looking forward to the feedback from britlude in the future.

For the clarification, T3TEC loom is not cheap so won't be cost saving, I have no interest in selling the loom and I have no intention to interfering this nice project by Syndicate.

As mentioned in my previous post, it doesn’t have to be AP1 but you can use any modulators as long as you know the required spec and what you are doing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast