Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gearbox overhaul

Default gearbox overhaul

My gearbox seems to be dying on me. I'm at about 120k miles now. It sounds like a bearing failure (in neutral and at idle and with the clutch pedal up (so the mainshaft is turning) it sounds like marbles in the tranny, with the clutch pedal down it disappears). I guess it's the input shaft bearing at least. So I'm preparing a full rebuild over the winter season. Try to organize the parts in the meantime (from the US and Japan as some parts are discontinued in the US).
    - new clutch (full kit 91)
    - new big bearings
    - maybe selected synchros and gear hubs
    - maybe shift forks
    - adding Type R diff plate
    - gaskets and o-rings

All good with the gearbox except the noise and it popped out of 5th once. It has been rebuilt at 50k miles with new bearings and synchros (went with the shorties/4.23 then). So I don't know if I should replace everything all over again. This rebuild should last more than 100k miles. I know I'll only be able to inspect it in detail as soon as the box is open. But maybe someone can give me a hint what to change for sure. Thanks!
    Last edited by goldnsx; 14-08-2016 at 01:18 PM.

Definitely not the TOB?
    Last edited by NSXGB; 14-08-2016 at 05:03 PM. Reason: ? Added

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post
    Definitely not the TOB.
    What does TOB stand for???
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Pride View Post
    What does TOB stand for???
    Throw out bearing

Quote Originally Posted by The King View Post
    Throw out bearing
    In that case I'm assuming that NSXGB was asking the question as to whether it could possibly be the clutch release bearing because that's what I think it could be, they can get very noisy but not give gearbox issues that goldnsx describes.
    Pride.

2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

Now I understand the post of NSXGB.
    Well, I'm not sure if it's the TOB making the noise. It's still the first with 120k miles on it and it will be changed with the clutch for sure. What I've read is that the TOB is prone to make noise when the clutch pedal is pressed. But that's not the case. There is a slight vibration in the clutch pedal when pressed which is a sign that the TOB is not 100%. But the main noise is with the clutch pedal released. When driving at 40 mph in 5th (revs around 1500 rpm) it sounds like marbles in the gearbox. Above 2k rpm the gearbox sounds ok. So I'm pointing at one of the main bearings like the input shaft bearing which are prone to break on Hondas.

Either way, which the gearbox out I'm going to overhaul both: clutch and gearbox internals. Just not to have do it again in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by goldnsx View Post
    Now I understand the post of NSXGB.
    Well, I'm not sure if it's the TOB making the noise. It's still the first with 120k miles on it and it will be changed with the clutch for sure. What I've read is that the TOB is prone to make noise when the clutch pedal is pressed. But that's not the case. There is a slight vibration in the clutch pedal when pressed which is a sign that the TOB is not 100%. But the main noise is with the clutch pedal released. When driving at 40 mph in 5th (revs around 1500 rpm) it sounds like marbles in the gearbox. Above 2k rpm the gearbox sounds ok. So I'm pointing at one of the main bearings like the input shaft bearing which are prone to break on Hondas.

Either way, which the gearbox out I'm going to overhaul both: clutch and gearbox internals. Just not to have do it again in the near future.
    Usually the only time the TOB makes excessive noise when worn out is when it's NOT depressed not when it is.
    IMHO almost certainly TOB and when you rev over 2k the TOB bearing noise just becomes inaudible.
    Pride.

Usually the only time the TOB makes excessive noise when worn out is when it's NOT depressed not when it is.
    IMHO almost certainly TOB and when you rev over 2k the TOB bearing noise just becomes inaudible.
    Just for clarfication: not depressed = TOB under load?
    The marbles can be heard with the clutch pedal depressed while normal driving in 5th gear at 1500 rpm (below 2k). So I might have two faulty bearings, maybe the TOB and maybe one in the tranny.

Quote Originally Posted by goldnsx View Post
    Just for clarfication: not depressed = TOB under load?
    The marbles can be heard with the clutch pedal depressed while normal driving in 5th gear at 1500 rpm (below 2k). So I might have two faulty bearings, maybe the TOB and maybe one in the tranny.

When clutch pedal is depressed TOB IS under load but should be silent because the ball bearings are under load.

And when the clutch pedal is NOT depressed (released) the TOB bearings will rattle like loose "marbles" because the ball bearings are not under load.

The excessive marble type noises you hear at 1500rpm in 5th gear could be diff or backlash noises.
    Have the noises got progressively worse over time???
    Pride.

The excessive marble type noises you hear at 1500rpm in 5th gear could be diff or backlash noises.
    Have the noises got progressively worse over time???
    Hard to say if it got worse over time. All I can say is that I've compared it to another NSX and the other one was silent either way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast