Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intermittent starting problem

Quote Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
    Brilliant! Thanks Jonathan. Btw I also found Sudesh's post http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...ght=evaporator.

Peter
    been there, done that too!!! http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...rator-overhaul

aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Blog Entries

Next time when it happens, try activating the plunger by applying 12V at the solenoid terminal of the starter without the IG key. There is a single black wire with 250 female terminal at the end covered in black rubber protector. Just pull it out and apply 12V from the jump start terminal inside the eng bay to the male 250 terminal at the starter body.
    If it cranks the engine, your issue is outside of the starter or it’s an intermittent one.

As britlude showed in his thread, fairly common failure and very likely to be the only parts that will wear out on Denso starters.

Just be careful with the spec of your starter.
    Honda changed the spec of the starter to the lowered power output from around 95 – 97 but not sure whether the plunger/terminals were different between the two or not.

Kaz

Thanks Kaz. The test you recommend makes complete sense, and if it happened to me at home where I had tools I would try it. But it's an intermittent problem, so I've decided to go ahead and overhaul the plunger/solenoid using the method in Britlude's thread. I've ordered the parts and started taking the starter motor off the car.

I have run into a problem though. I can't loosen the lower mounting bolt. I've held an impact wrench on it for ages and it won't budge. I also tried a hand ratchet wrench with a "persuader" on it (piece of scaffold pole!). I'm worried about breaking something though. I've squirted some penetrating oil on it and will try it again tomorrow. If that doesn't work I'll put it all back together and take it to my friendly local garage and ask them if they can get the starter off. I'll then bring it home, overhaul it and bring it back for them to reinstall. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Peter
    1996 Green NSX-T manual

A long soak in Plus Gas (and turning it the wrong way) usually works.

Do you not have a breaker bar? Otherwise you might not have a ratchet! Sometimes getting a rhythmic flex on the breaker bar will 'twang' it.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

This is an old thread I started but just to round it off, I thought I should record on here that Jonathan's repair worked very well.
    http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...-motor-service
    1996 Green NSX-T manual

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12