Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent starting problem

Default Intermittent starting problem

Second time now that this has happened to me, so it's time to investigate ...

I started the car from cold, and drove it. Everything was normal.
    I parked up, but when I go back to it an hour later, I turned the key, all the warning lights came on, but the starter motor didn't turn.
    Numerous attempts to get it to start, but no luck.
    I called the RAC, and while I was waiting, after 1/2 hr, tried it again and it started and ran perfectly.
    When I got home, I turned it off, and it restarted perfectly.

What I checked while it wasn't working:

When I turn the key to posn 3, I get "click whirr click" from over my shoulder, which I assume means the main relay is fine and the whirring is the fuel pump coming on and then switching itself off when it's up to pressure. I assume it also means the ignition switch is fine. But the starter motor didn't turn.
    Battery terminals are secure. It's a newish battery.
    Headlights lit up strongly.

After browsing on here and prime, I'm thinking it's the starter motor or the starter motor relay. I thought about hitting the starter motor with the wheel wrench, but fortunately it started of its own accord first.

If anybody has some advice, it would be much appreciated, before I start tearing into my starter motor!

Thanks
    Peter

PS it's an NA1 DBW manual.
    Last edited by PeterW; 16-07-2016 at 07:36 PM. Reason: punctuation!
    1996 Green NSX-T manual

Ignition switch (if the main relay is confessed to be ok). You've ruled that out but I had to change mine years ago too.
    Starter motor problems are very rare on the NSX.

Do you use the car regularly? When I got my car the previous owner's annual mileage had been 350 miles.
    He told me that the starter sometimes stuck and it just needed a gentle tap. When I collected it we stopped after about 20 miles into our journey home, the car started with no problem however after another 15 miles when trying to start it I had exactly the same problems as you. A gentle tap and it was fine I think it only did it one more time in the first year after that I've had no trouble maybe because I use it at least every two weeks.

I forgot to say that a broken golf club (handle end) is the right size to tap the starter motor I still keep it in the boot just in case even after 7 years !

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by L696ULO View Post
    I forgot to say that a broken golf club (handle end) is the right size to tap the starter motor I still keep it in the boot just in case even after 7 years !

Rich
    Preferably a golf club for starters then???😂
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

goldnsx - Thanks for your reply. I just looked in the manual and if I read it right, the BLK/WHT wire from the ignition switch which supplies power to the starter solenoid, also supplies the main relay which in turn supplies power to the fuel pump. So if the clicking and whirring I heard was the main relay and fuel pump, the ignition switch should be OK. I'm not an electrical engineer though, so I might be completely wrong!

L696ULO - Thanks also for your reply. I found similar advice on Prime while I was waiting for the RAC today! My car's not a daily driver, but it's not a garage queen either. Has anybody else had experience of starter motor problems? Is it the solenoid that sticks? I was sure that Sudesh described a starter motor overhaul a few years ago, but I can't find it. Removing and opening up the starter motor looks fairly easy ... famous last words !

Thanks
    Peter
    1996 Green NSX-T manual

Problems with the ignition switch are well-known, those with the starter motor not. But I'm argueing from the statistical point of view. It was some years ago when mind quit. The starter motor didn't turn but I don't know the behaviour of the dashboard anymore.

aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Suberb work.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Brilliant! Thanks Jonathan. Btw I also found Sudesh's post http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...ght=evaporator.

Peter
    1996 Green NSX-T manual

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast