Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying an NA1 with unknown mileage due to Tampering

Default Buying an NA1 with unknown mileage due to Tampering

What price makes this option worthy of consideration
    Honda NSX NA2 1999
    The only absolute knowledge attainable by man is that life is meaningless without an NSX

For me, depends on when the tampering was done (i.e. how long ago) and how good the servicing has been since then.

- If a long time ago, treat as e.g. a c.200k miler with recent history.
    - If more recent, treat as a car without history, which is to say something close to half-price.

(I'm working on the fact that if servicing's been skimped on then problems will surface sooner rather than later, and in the UK an NSX is VERY unlikely to have topped 200k even with a haircut or two...)
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

And even after weighing that up, but before making an offer...

Imagine that you're trying to sell the car in the future: you'll face all the same worries from the other side. No matter how honest you would be then, and how much due diligence you do now, most buyers don't want cars with 'stories'.

Bonus question: can you get in touch with previous owners to work out where and why the miles went missing? (I guess one of them won't want to discuss it!)

Do they have the MOT or tax discs as they will have annual mileage on them.

MOT history should do as well...but I think the point is that the history won't tell the whole story, or something will be missing, as goldtop has suggested.

Tracking previous owners is a good idea.

Selling on...agree to a degree, but depends how long you're keeping it...if you have it 5+ years and cherish it, the next buyer will be wary but have more confidence...
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

The car is in Japan

If it is to keep it I would not mind, but if you intend to sell it might get tricky. A bit like my NSX-R that we had records in the UK and Japan but it had a stack Dash for a while so the mileage will never be reconciled on MOT checks.

Quote Originally Posted by marknsx View Post
    What price makes this option worthy of consideration
    I suppose the price you buy it at will reflect the risk as this will be the case with whoever buys it from you, although that risk reduces if you take good care of it during your ownership and do all the major work. If its for you to drive and enjoy the risk is less...Buy and enjoy
    Geoff

S21 NSX red 1998 NSX T NA2 3.2 manual with pop ups
    black 2010 Renaultsport RS250
    black 2007 Honda Civic Type R gt......gone but sadly missed
    black 2006 Lexus RX400h

Quote Originally Posted by marknsx View Post
    The car is in Japan
    Well, it better be super cheap! To cover the unknowns and the fact the £:Yen rate has tanked since last year's height.

Because there are currently lots of NSXs of all specs and prices here in the UK already. Why not talk to Graham about the 175k red manual one? £25k is a bargain.

Don't forget taxes etc, could be a bargain but you might not save that much in the end. Perhaps Plans or some other company can check it out for you in Japan for a fee?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast