Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MoT FAIL!

Blog Entries

Hi, Jim.
    The regulation and the manual are consistent but not the operators, I’m afraid….

You can download the MOT manual from the government site.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...and-7-vehicles

For your NSX, it’s section 7.3 page 6, 7 and 9 are the key.

Honda garage was correct in stating that your NSX must take BET because your NSX was used on or after 01/Aug/92.

However, failing BET doesn’t become the reason for MOT fail and it’s clearly written in the manual as well.
    Once it didn’t pass the BET, then the operator would follow the question shown on the display so not sure why they didn’t follow it or possibly followed it, found the exact match in the database for the specific emission limit for your NSX and then failed it on that basis.

I went through the MOT procedure and the actual description shown on the display at my local Honda garage as my NSX is JDM and I imported it by myself so they required extra support from me.
    If you don’t follow the correct flow, you would end up with the wrong criteria. 1st time when they went through, they made the mistake.

One can reject the certificate if the CAT was removed from the vehicle that was fitted as standard but it’s only for the vehicle qualifies for the Full CAT emission test and since your NSX doesn’t belong to that group, removing the CAT doesn’t become the reason for MOT fail.

Hope your friend can help you.

Kaz

Thanks Kaz, However it looks like it will have to wait for a few months, I am deploying overseas again ( Estonia this time) until September, so with a bit of luck I can get the car back on the road then.

Cheers
    Jim
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

Send me the keys Jim, I'll sort it
    ****1997 3.2 Orange / Black SOLD****

Previously driven by.........

Jeremy Clarkson, Tim Harvey, Richard Burns (RIP), Jason Plato, Harvey Postlethwaite (RIP), Manfred Wollgarten, Dirk Schoysman, Barrie Williams.

Nurburgring lap time 8:38 - Honda NSX (sport auto, 08/97)

Quote Originally Posted by simonprelude View Post
    Send me the keys Jim, I'll sort it
    If only it was that easy Simon !! cheers anyway though

Jim

Hi All,

Well I have had a crazy few years, (plenty travel but all work related !!)

Anyway, My car is FINALLY in for MoT, having been SORN'd for sooooo long, I am itching to get it back legal and running again.

I have found someone local to me to do little bits of work to the car, but still yet to see how "sympathetic" the MoT garage will be.

As some of you know, I have had the odd little issue with my car, but we will see if it gets through this year! IF it does, then watch this space

Cheers
    Jim

............. and here is the latest. yea the poor old car failed again, but on all fairly minor issues bar 1. Even though my car is a 1991, because it was registered 1 August 1992, it requires a Cat. Although slightly annoying, rather than playing around refitting old exhaust for MoT, I’m getting 2 Sport Cats fitted into the exhaust system.

I’m not giving up, it WILL be road legal again.

Cheers
    Jim

Mine is a '91 with sports cats, registered as a '93 and is always tested as a '93. It's a worry every year.

My procedure is put some decent fuel in it and blast it down the M5 and back for 20 miles immediately before the MOT .

My instruction to the MOT tester is if it fails on emissions, take it up the road and rag the balls off it, just don't red line it, and test the emissions immediately afterwards.

Seems to work!

To pass emissions the best way a professional of a laboratory for emissions testing told me years ago to rev it on the highway to constantly 5-7k rpm for an extended period of time (20-30 minutes?). This heats up and cleans the cats. No need to drive like you stole it. WOT at AFR 13 won't be ideal for the cats to clean.

Another once told me that longer storage time could harm the cats efficiency. He recommended me to drive it more frequently (daily) before MOT.

Sports CATs plus a good run on optimax (or similar high octane) and hopefully you have her back on the road before the first snow falls
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Hi all, that is the plan, I'll see what happens one the Cat's get fitted, but I think it's all positive (also needed track rod end which are coming from Japan, I told the garage to do both sides, if 1 is going the other wont be far away).

Everything is going in the right direction, so fingers crossed. I'll updated when I hear back from them.

Cheers
    Jim

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast