Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MoT FAIL!

Blog Entries

Hi, Jim.

As your NSX is first used on or after 01/Aug/92, you will need to follow the BET first and not the non-CAT test.

However, simply failing BET won’t become straight MOT failure.
    The operator will then need to either find the 'vehicle specific limit' for the CAT test or if not available, carry out the non-CAT test.
    I think your previous MOTs were carried out based on the latter condition.

Good luck with the test.

Kaz

Quote Originally Posted by L696ULO View Post
    A few years ago when the garage tested my car's emissions it didn't pass and that was after a 15 mile drive to get there. I hadn't used the car that much beforehand however they held the revs at 3,000 for about a minute and it then easily passed.

The same happened with me last year. The car initially failed on emissions but they ran the engine for about 30 minutes, re-tested it and it passed, just. Like many others, the car had been essentially stored over the winter and driven very little beforehand. The garage warned me that it needs a long run before being tested.
    1999 3.2 Manual NA2 Targa in Formula Red

Hi all ,

At Honda now, and even though they passed my car on the no cat test last year, they are refusing to give it the non cat test this year stating as it was registered 91 Aug 1992 they say it has to be the Cat MoT test. I asked why they passed it on the non cat test last year and got blank looks

What a bummer!!! Sounds like typical motor trade though.

I presume you've changed your oem exhaust which is why you no longer have any cats, if so could you not just refit the origanol for a retest, I know it's a real pain but at least it would get you out of this hole???
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Quote Originally Posted by Pride View Post
    What a bummer!!! Sounds like typical motor trade though.

I presume you've changed your oem exhaust which is why you no longer have any cats, if so could you not just refit the origanol for a retest, I know it's a real pain but at least it would get you out of this hole???
    Yes I still have the original exhaust, it's jus annoying that the passed it previously but are refusing now. I could re fit old exhaust for the test, but I'll probably just go elsewhere !!
    Cheers
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    Hi, Jim.

As your NSX is first used on or after 01/Aug/92, you will need to follow the BET first and not the non-CAT test.

However, simply failing BET won’t become straight MOT failure.
    The operator will then need to either find the 'vehicle specific limit' for the CAT test or if not available, carry out the non-CAT test.
    I think your previous MOTs were carried out based on the latter condition.

Good luck with the test.

Kaz
    Hi Kaz,

That's exactly what I explained to them today, but it seems that they are now unwilling to do that (even thought hey passed it last year that way).

I think I'll just go elsewhere.
    Cheers
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mutley View Post
    Yes I still have the original exhaust, it's jus annoying that the passed it previously but are refusing now. I could re fit old exhaust for the test, but I'll probably just go elsewhere !!
    Cheers
    Jim
    Careful with going else where Jim as the emission results and failures are now on record thanks to an EU ruling in 2013.
    What I would do is ask a friendly garage which do MOT's and just ask for an emissions test stating its pre-cat, some would do that for nothing and if the emissions are all good then explain to the proprietor your scenario with the other test station and I'm sure he would help you with doing another MOT.

Good luck anyway.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Pride,

That's pretty much what I have planned, I have another garage that I use for all the work on my RRS (and he's ex RAF, and we were both based at the same unit, so that helps).

There were a couple of other items that failed(corroded brake line) but I won't be off the road for too long

Cheers
    Jim

I brought my rx8 for testing and as I had gone up early to let the engine cool down, as they switch them on and off like a yoyo for brakes etc.
    I got called in earlier than my time and was creeping over to the center to let the engine and CAT warm up a little more, but they told me to rev
    to 2k and I just made it through.

Some testers can be funny but I passed the test regardless. Thing is alot of the rx8's have little brick left and still pass and with a rotary
    engine they run very hot and be in the higher emissions band. A good blast should help but if you have a friend who can help you out all the better,
    if not then get the old exhaust on to get her through the test.

Hi all, unfortunately I don't have time to do anything so the cover is back on the car.
    If I have to put the oem exhaust on for the test then so be it, but I am more perplexed that this is the first time that have refused it (passed with this exhaust on the last 5years) and the fact the Honda dealer passed it last year. A bit of consistency would be good, either I need cats or I don't .

Cheers
    Jim

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast