Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MoT FAIL!

Default MoT FAIL!

Hi all,

Had the car in for an Mot today, and it failed on emissions. I found this a little strange as even with the De-cat exhaust. I have had this exhaust on the car for about 5 yrs now and it has always passed the test. Any ideas why it would be suddenly be a fail?

My only reasoning behind it, is that since the last MoT, the car hasn't really done many miles and even today I just took it straight to the Honda garage without a decent run (didn't want to risk going to far with the car as without MoT it's not technically road legal).

Anyone any tips?

Cheers
    Jim
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

A few years ago when the garage tested my car's emissions it didn't pass and that was after a 15 mile drive to get there. I hadn't used the car that much beforehand however they held the revs at 3,000 for about a minute and it then easily passed.

Blog Entries

Hi, Jim.
    What was the CO, HC readings? Surprised you managed to exceed 3.5% and 1200ppm....
    How old is your fuel inside the tank?

You are allowed to drive the car without MOT if you can prove that you have an appointment for the MOT and you are on the way to the MOT station.

Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 15-03-2016 at 05:04 PM. Reason: extra info

I do usually take it a decent run before hand.

Kaz, there was some old fuel in the car, but not a lot, and I did put in about 30 litres of fresh fuel. There were another few fail points (corroded rear brake line and a number plate bulb) but I was just surprised at the emissions as I've never had any problems with that before.

I'll post up the emission results later (I'm out on my phone just now)

Cheers
    Jim
    Last edited by mutley; 15-03-2016 at 05:14 PM.

here are the emission results:

Fast Idle Test : CO limit <=0.3% Result : 0.67% FAIL
    HC limit <=200PPM Result 152 PPM PASS
    Lambda 0.97 - 1.03 Result 1.04 FAIL

Second Fast Idle Test: CO Result : 0.71% FAIL
    HC Result 187 PPM PASS
    Lambda Result 1.03 FAIL (but surely thats on the limit!)

Natural Idle Test: 650-950 RPM
    <= 0.5% Result 0.47% PASS

Blog Entries

Hi, Jim.

That result is based on the BET criteria.
    Is your NSX first used before or after 01/Aug/92?

This will decide whether your NSX needs to go through the ‘non CAT test’ or the ‘BET (Basic Emissions Test)’ followed by another procedure if it didn’t pass the BET first.

Probably all of your previous MOTs were done using the non CAT test because your NSX is used before 01/Aug/92 or even if it was not the case and it failed the 1st BET, the operator used the criteria of 'couldn’t find the exact match in the analysis database….' and thus, carried out non CAT test as specified by the VOSA.

So, the key is to find out whether your NSX was used before 01/Aug/92 or not.

Kaz

Kaz,

I think the database shows my car at first registered 01 Aug 92 .

When I get back down south next week, I'll check last years MoT to compare results
    Jim

HI All,

Watch this space, tomorrow I am going back to the Honda dealer that tested my car. I found last years MoT ( Same dealer) and the car passed no problems. on examining the 2 MoT certificates, at first I could;t see the difference , then i noticed the heading on the top. Last year they the test was un-catalytic converter, this year (the fail one) was a test with Cat - that will explain the fail as my car does't have cats fitted, so I will be presenting them with this tomorrow and see what they say.

Cheers
    Jim

Good luck, keep up posted.

Quote Originally Posted by mutley View Post
    HI All,

Watch this space, tomorrow I am going back to the Honda dealer that tested my car. I found last years MoT ( Same dealer) and the car passed no problems. on examining the 2 MoT certificates, at first I could;t see the difference , then i noticed the heading on the top. Last year they the test was un-catalytic converter, this year (the fail one) was a test with Cat - that will explain the fail as my car does't have cats fitted, so I will be presenting them with this tomorrow and see what they say.

Cheers
    Jim
    Hi Jim,

normally pre-93 cars (usually pre-K Reg) such as yours do not have to do the stricter MOT test even if the cat is fitted. I had this in the past when I previously owned my Porsche 944 Turbo and 964RS. Porsche were an early adopter of fitting cats universally to their cars (probably due to stricter US emissions rules in California etc, a big market) before the requirement in other parts of the world. It should only be 93 onwards cars that do the full emissions tests?

Incidentally, going to the garage tomorrow? Are they open on Good Friday for MOT's??

Cheers,

Gary

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast