Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Respray

Default Respray

I'm considering a full respray in the original colour as there are far to many marks on the car now. Does the car need to be sprayed in one pass ie bumpers and doors still attached, or can they be sprayed separately? The colour is Sebring Silver. The reason for asking is we had an expensive, special candy blue colour done on one of our previous cars, and if it was not sprayed in one pass the bumpers etc would look a different colour.
    Cheers Ian

Hi Ian,

My Pearl yellow car was sprayed with the bonnet, doors, bumper and boot lid off the car.

It depends also on the quality of finish you are looking for. If you paint the car with the panels on you will probably get overspray in the shuts and a rough edge on the panels from paint build up around the masking tape. If it is painted with the panels off the car, the masking edge is covered with the rubber trims when the car is re assembled and you will have a cleaner finish in the shuts.
    With paints that change colour like your candy, the paint needs to be applied in a directional manner otherwise as you say the panels would look different. I would be very surprised if the panels were painted fitted to the car though. If they were on the car you would not be able to get the paint coverage around the edges. They were probably painted on stands adjacent to the car at the same time as the shell.

My I.T. skills are not great and have not managed to work my way around hosting pics elsewhere and linking to the site but if you P.M. me an email address I will happily send you the couple of pics I have of my car being painted.

Olly

ideally all the shuts/returns first, then the outside in one hit! the problem with metallics/pearls is the particles can fall/settle in different planes if the panels are separate.

candys are a different kettle of fish as the number of layers affects the depth of colour, hence, why on some candy sprayed cars, the panel around the door is darker as it gets a double hit when the shut and outer panel is sprayed!

as you plan original colour all the shuts can be cleaned and masked off accordingly....

i'm trying to work out paint logistics on mine at the moment... who/where/colour.....
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post

i'm trying to work out paint logistics on mine at the moment... who/where/colour.....
    That's easy, you, your garage, same colour or candy green

Hi Ian,

Maybe out of your area , a company called Mech Spray in Rochester Kent . I have been told are very good, they have sprayed quite a few Corvettes and advertise in the Corvette Quarterly Mag 01634 847940 give them a call Peter or Wayne .

Say goodbye to the Sebring and go Silverstone! Engine bay and under bonnet can be changed or quite easily blacks out like the R's ... It might raise your budget £500 but would be a no brainer if my car as its my #1 colour choice for your model. Will this be done prior to Pancake Run?

rgds Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Horrible color, Reds the more superior, fastest, and holds the best re-sale money.

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Say goodbye to the Sebring and go Silverstone!
    rgds Paul
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。

Quote Originally Posted by Sudesh View Post
    Horrible color, Reds the more superior, fastest, and holds the best re-sale money.
    Not on the facelift model Sudesh ... in red it looks like you wish you could afford an F car ... Silverstone on 02+ is pure class!
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

And so it begins.................

Ha ha! What makes you think I haven't I got an F car, has the number 40 in it too! Facelift or not, Red NSX is the best then yellow, Blue, Orange and so on. Grey in the NSX looks you should smoking a pipe when you step out and walking with a cane and Sherlock homes cap lol
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast