Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Window Regulator

Default Electric Window Regulator

Has anyone attempted to dissassemble and re-assemble an electric window regulator motor/gearbox/cable spool assembly?

If so how did it go and do you have any hints and tips you may like to depart?

Cheers
    Gary

Default window regulator

check the FAQ on Prime re the window regulator fix. Some description of what you are suggesting there.

Mo
    speed on track is indirectly proportional to the value of your car

Blimey!

Myself and a friend have just spent the last 5 hours attempting to fix the window regualtor (mostly the motor-cable spool mechanism).

This is after I spent most of the afternoon carefully dissassembly 80% of the door just to get the mechanism out.

Once we had the motor-cable spool mechanism on the bench we carefull removed the spool cover and surveyed the damage. When the cable terminator 'thingy' let go the motor continued to wind the now untensioned cable onto the spool. However because of the unequal tensions or maybe because one of the cables jammed, both cables had jumped thier normal spools and become knotted effectivively siezing the spool(s).

After much delicate unpicking we eventually managed to free the cables (although they have some worrying kinks in them) and rebuild the spool-motor assembly. It tested OK on the bench although I noticed (when I replaced the old plastic 'thingy' for a new Dali alloy 'thingy' that the tabs that locate the 'thingy' had been bent from the distortion of the plastic.

I've still to reinstall the motor-cable spool mechanism in the door and rebuild the door. I'll report back if it all works (if anyone's interested).

BUT the moral of the story is......

Unless you want (or can afford) a massive bill from Honda get your 'thingys' replaced ASAP BEFORE they snap.

Gary

Congrats on the rebuild Gary - Having previously tried to re-spool the regulator I can fully appreciate just what a PITA it is\was!!! :o

... I'd be interested to hear whether the regulator works OK once it's reinstalled back in the car as the number of successful rebuilds I've heard of so far is errrr..... well, none!!! :shock:

Good luck!

~Phil.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience. —Dilbert.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Spanners
    ... I'd be interested to hear whether the regulator works OK once it's reinstalled back in the car as the number of successful rebuilds I've heard of so far is errrr..... well, none!!! :shock:
    I was thinking the same thing myself...
    Darren Ferneyhough

http://today.nsedreams.com
    Working with a growing team improving health, wealth & prosperity.
    If you know someone that wants or needs to improve any of these
    areas please connect them with me via my LinkedIn profile above

Initial tests look promising.

I was able to reinstall the regulator and wind the window up and down to complete the re-assembly of the rest of the door parts.

However, I have a long journey planned tomorrow so I made sure the window was in the fully up position and will leave any further testing until after my trip.

7. Default

Just wondered if this went OK in the end. My window thingies don't need to be replaced but I might get them done to be safe. You say it took about 5hrs to do one door? How long would you say to replace both thingies before they go?

Quote Originally Posted by NSA
    Just wondered if this went OK in the end. My window thingies don't need to be replaced but I might get them done to be safe. You say it took about 5hrs to do one door? How long would you say to replace both thingies before they go?
    What year is your car? i believe the part was changed after 93(i think)and all cars after that date are ok.
    92 brown/blue/gold manual coupe sadly stolen:
    96 Brooklands Green manual T-top.Sadly now sold
    04 Formula Red manual coupe Very sadly sold

9. Default

1997. Joy if it was changed.

Quote Originally Posted by NSA
    1997. Joy if it was changed.
    Yeah,you have no problems.
    92 brown/blue/gold manual coupe sadly stolen:
    96 Brooklands Green manual T-top.Sadly now sold
    04 Formula Red manual coupe Very sadly sold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast