Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For sale at auction

My cruise control is max 68mph=110kph. (I have a MPH speedo conversion) Max speed in Japan is 100kph I believe.

I remember a few years ago on the way back from Le Mans setting my UK spec NA1 cruise control at 130mph and it felt strangely fabulous when I took my foot of the throttle, relaxed while still on full standby.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Blog Entries

Bit off-topic from the OP so apology in advance…..

For the JDM owners, through the factory fitted ‘Custom Order Plan’, one could have ordered the 280kph speedo from certain year model.
    However, unless you are regularly taking your NSX to the track session, the driver will be using less than half of the full scale most of the time as the max speed limit in Japan is 100kph (just over 62mph) even on the motor way and most of the A roads are limited at 50 – 60kph (just above 31 - 37mph).
    Addition to this, JDM NSX is equipped with the software speed limit at 180kph through the ECU and it will cut the fuel so not something you want to hit frequently when the cyl is under massive energy.

It’s not mandatory to have this limiter by law in Japan so it’s not illegal to disable it and since VSS signal is defined by JIS, all Japanese car manufactures are using exactly the same VSS signal except for the number of pulses per sensor rotation so fairly easy to create certain electronics circuit to mimic the VSS.
    You can also re-write the data region of the ECU ROM if you know the code.

There are several ways to enable the cruise control on JDM NSX well beyond 70mph.

Kaz

Unexpected fuel cut accelerating through 112mph could be nasty on a German autobahn if an aggressive Porsche/Merc/BMWetc was behind you, a high risk of a rear end shunt at high speed. Doesn't bear thinking about. A serious safety issue perhaps??

Quote Originally Posted by ianhb View Post
    Unexpected fuel cut accelerating through 112mph could be nasty on a German autobahn ...... A serious safety issue perhaps??
    No. It's JDM spec with a country speed limit below what you're referencing. If you want to play with the Germans then update or buy a euro spec. The safety issue in this context would be the driver if they hadn't prepared their car for the journey they planned.
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Sorry, still off topic, but replying.

No, I was just trying to make a point that a lot of JDM cars have been imported in to Europe, and I thought that it was a reasonable assumption that a fair number of owners of same would be unaware of a possible 112mph top speed limiter. I certainly hadn't discovered the fact, until now, reading Kaz's slightly "off topic" note above, in my 18months of ownership.

One of the main reasons for joining this forum is that their are a lot of "senior" members with years of knowledge about these wonderful cars that they can pass on to the more inexperienced.

The speed limiter issue is not in any of the advertised specs that I have ever seen in the past 2 years, nor mentioned in any of the currently advertised JDM spec cars that I could find.

Of course, once you know about the issue, then its possible to do something about it, which is what I will do as soon as practicable.

Alternatively, selling the JDM and buying a euro spec, as you seem to suggest, would not be an option for most people, for obvious reasons.

What you probably need is called a Yellow Box.

It's what the JDM brigade use to delimit their cars - and convert speedos to MPH. I dunno if they make an NSX one.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

mine is JDM and has a magic box intercepting the speedo signal as it enters the dash and modifying it to give an mph equivalent (or in my case a mph reading around 10% too high!, it shows 78-80 when the sat nav says i'm doing 70! )

this however hasn't changed the cruise control levels, so the speedo reads mph, but still limited to the 68mph cruise control maximum...

... still, i only really use the cruise control in 50mph road works on the motorway!
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    mine is JDM and has a magic box intercepting the speedo signal as it enters the dash and modifying it to give an mph equivalent (or in my case a mph reading around 10% too high!, it shows 78-80 when the sat nav says i'm doing 70! )

this however hasn't changed the cruise control levels, so the speedo reads mph, but still limited to the 68mph cruise control maximum...

... still, i only really use the cruise control in 50mph road works on the motorway!
    Perhaps Geoff should have gone down the JDM route those speeds sound perfect for him. ��

Mine does the same as Jonathan's. I am booked in to see Kaz soon so he will know what to do about it all. I am wary in UK about licence losing speeds to check the max.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast