Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NSX vs Cayman GT4 and F355 Autocar 21 October 2015 - Matt Saunders

AR you are entitled to your opinion of course, as is Matt Saunders. But I am left wondering what your motives are other than to judge and perhaps insult fellow forum members.

My purpose was not one of exploitation but simply to draw attention to an unusual article and pull out some of the positive comments about the NSX for an audience of fellow enthusiasts. If you want to judge and insult me please do so via a PM in future.

Of course there are many criteria where many cars will beat an NSX - including my own Skoda Superb that using the objective tests of space and full economy beats an NSX, all Porsche and Ferrari by a considerable margin.

I am sad it seems you ignore nostalgia and emotion when judging the relative merits of cars as I think you are missing a lot in doing so.

If you feel the need to respond again I hope you can do so in a more constructive manner, if not hold that thought, you are entitled to it, but it is not compulsory to put in writing.
    [SIGPIC]

www.nsxclub.co.uk

2001 NA2 Imola Orange Pearl/Black Leather (Type S evocation)
    2003 NA2 Long Beach Blue/Black Leather (NSX-R evocation)

Non NSX
    Lotus Carlton 30/250

Previous NSX
    2004 NA2-R Championship White/Red Seats 111/150 personal import April 2016 sold 2020
    NA2 2005 NA2 LBB/Grey Leather last 12 car, 2005 Pearl White/Red Leather last 12 car, 2003-T Black/Black, 2003-T Red/Black
    NA1 1996 Type R White/Black 447/483, 2 x 1991 manual, 1993 manual, 1996-T manual, 2002-T F-matic

We are a passionate bunch. United by the NSX. I don't care what past or present car alternatives can or can't do. I have found happiness. Just remember to drive whatever you own. If you feel the need to lock it away then sell it to someone who will drive it.

3. Default

It's great to read a modern comparison. You cannot stop progress, but it is good to see that the qualities of the NSX still clearly shine through.

The car world is driven by an improvement in numbers, so inevitably - no matter how objectively good it is - you will lose elements that 'feel' better because they do not perform better. Today, the NSX's approachability wouldn't cut the mustard as it just wouldn't be fast enough around a circuit.

I think where people (i.e. 'fan boys') can get carried away is thinking their car is an equal match, even if it's a ropey 15 year old car with 100,000 miles. I have driven many a rough NSX because owners haven't spent enough money maintaining important suspension components or have the wrong tyres. With the car now bordering on being an investment, i hope owners are giving their NSX's the attention they deserve!
    '02 Honda NSX [Garage Queen]
    '17 Huracan Performante [Weekend Car]
    '19 Porsche Macan [Daily]

Well said. Is this the only supercar to be worth more in bits than whole?

Shawn,

The purpose of my posts was not to insult anyone, just to bring a perspective from someone who has driven and owned quite a few NSX and other more modern, and older cars.

Nostalgia, well I had a 1983 RX7 with a 12A engine and carbs, it was a great car and "felt" so fast, yet our roundaround fiat 500 diesel ran rings around it.

What I am saying is that owners need to be objective and accept the NSX for what it is, which is, a Classic Junior Supercar.

Before anyone feels ready to curtail my freedom of expression ( how very dare you ) just understand that we all have different frames of references! An acquaintance had a Dino 246 and I thought it was great, till I drove it!

Have your Nostalgia, but don't let it cloud your mind.

I am not an "enemy" of NSX owners, I have probably helped more than 20 people buy their NSX over the few years I was active, even accompany and test drove cars for them FOC, not even a beer thrown in and in many cases not even a thank you.

I designed, tested and made an exhaust for the NSX that met the requirements of most owners, only to be attacked by some who wanted spaghetti exhausts. One minute owners want performance and tell me the NSX can walk a away from X,Y or Z car, the next minute they say power is not important just the feel.

When I had my 3rd NSX and decided to supercharge it, nodody was touching them, except a company that wanted 5k to look at it and another one that installed two one of which ran like crap according to many and the other that blew itself up. Then people said the NSX is not about power.

Everyone knows that the NSX has a SUPERB chassis, but it needs better brakes and more power amongst other things to be able to keep up with modern stuff, no jokes about remapped 335D BMWs lol.

So there you are, my opinion, and no mention about price fixing, insider trading or the anorak cartel.
    Last edited by AR; 22-10-2015 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    What I am saying is that owners need to be objective and accept the NSX for what it is, which is, a Classic Junior Supercar.
    I'm not with you on the term 'objective'. Owners don't have to be objective nor do they have to be wearing pink glasses.

Nice to read the article, a little bit too much superlatives but they all write them that way. The article is in contrast to the stepmotherly articles way back when it was for sale in Europe.

If you like the sweet smell of the background of the time around the 90ies you don't have to compare it to each of today's cars. I know some Honda owners are not interested in the new cars for several reasons. I for myself am not even interested in the new NSX as I try to avoid being held hostage by the new technology and retire from DIY.

Just driven 180 miles to Woodstock and back today. My nsx blown apart by the modern bmw Mercedes and Audi racers. The NSX turned all the heads.

Quote Originally Posted by marknsx View Post
    Just driven 180 miles to Woodstock and back today. My nsx blown apart by the modern bmw Mercedes and Audi racers. The NSX turned all the heads.
    Good effort, but as my teacher often said, must try harder ;0) today's round trip was 406 miles ... Bizarrely, between us today we have exceeded some owners annual mileage!!!!

An early start gave me some open roads to play with until I joined the commuter train up the M11. Occasional 'gaps' permitted exercise for the loud pedal en route to Barnsley. On arrival I parked in what I thought was out of site location. Late morning and the snap wagon swings past, nothing unusual. At lunchtime my colleague comes back from lunch and advises he has been chatting to a group of Toyota and Honda tech's who had been told there was this honda badged sports car in my customers car park. There was some expensive modern machinery in the car park, but as many of us know, the NSX is a car that continues to attract positive attention.

The journey home was the same mix of a-roads, smiles, waves and thumbs ups!

The purpose for sharing? To suggest that if you're not driving your NSX then what is the point of any comparison as you will have no reference points to compare with. The NSX is a classic supercar of its decade. Comparing the NSX to a GT4 is like debating whether Fangio is better than Senna or if Lewis better than both ... A pointless discussion that will simply devide opinion.

It was nice to see a more positive article, if I get a hard copy I'll put it with other less positive articles. But in the meantime, I'm off out again soon to keep my own reference points alive!
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Great work big man!
    Im having a day off diving as my Legend is to be traded in. Got to clean it and move all the junk out first.
    Tomorrow local travel only. I need to get to Derby next. I might try a very early start to exploit the roads.

10. Default

Well to add this, Just drove a gt4 and Nsx back to back. The gt4 owbner drove my NSX and prefered it. The GT4 is great. The NSX feels special.
    Last edited by Senninha; 24-10-2015 at 09:26 PM.
    Formula Red NA2
    Imola Orange NA2
    Yellow NA2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast