Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do I spend my hard earned £3000.00

Default Where do I spend my hard earned £3000.00

My Red 1991 original NSX is almost ready for collection.
    I bought the car as an investment and wanted an original spec
    I intend to drive the car and enjoy.
    I would like to spend some money individualising my car. My rationale is that all OEM parts removed are retained and can or will be refitted.
    So £3K to spend. what do I spend it on. If at all!
    My first thought is as I intend doing some long runs I protect the newly painted bodywork. The latest in clear film technology, which is self healing, seems a good investment.
    Also Tyres. The car has a set of Dunlops on. Should I be looking at the new Michelins?
    Next Im looking at putting a clear/mesh engine cover on. If I do then I will want to alter the appearance of the engine bay maybe red parts to compliment the car.
    Maybe replacing the centre console stereo with an all singing and dancing system.
    Other than that I have binned the idea of racing/sports seats, new exhaust and changing the tires to a larger size.
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated

A visit to Kaz?

Then a new exhaust lol, but I am biased!

Mmmmm £3k to spend - nice position to be in.

When I bought mine first and formost I wanted to ensure that it was mechanically sound. So I went through the usual routine of water pump, timing belt, crank pulley etc and it also had a thorough service and new tyres. The cooling system was next with new rad and hoses. I also had the CCU and amplifiers, which were bu**ered, repaired. The stereo when it's working properly is very good. Brakes have been overhauled as have the driveshafts. Unfortunately that lot will wipe out your budget (unless of course you have the skills and equipment to do it yourself). I only point this out as you indicate you want to do some long runs in which case you need to be confident in cars mechanicals. BTW I took 4 years to get through that list, plus a few other bits and pieces!

In my view, lowering the car and fitting the bigger, later style wheels along with wheel spacers improves the look, just within your budget if you can source some wheels and all this is reversible. Changing my exhaust has also made a difference, I kept the original.

The engine bay can be tidied up with some elbow grease and a few Type R parts, the mesh engine covers are very nice but be prepared for increased engine noise in the cabin.

I noticed at Silverstone this year and on the Pancake how many owners have customised or rather personalised their cars. We're not as extreme (in most cases) as some of the US owners, some of the builds on Prime are epic and must cost huge amounts. It's fun reading about them.

I would say take your time, research what interests you and do it. After all, man math says next year you'll have another £3k to spend!

Thanks much appreciated. Our Honda dealership selling this one to me. They have 4 now and have been through mine with a fine tooth combe. They have spent a good deal of time and effort to present me a uk registered NSX (this thursday) original and driving like a goodun.
    So I have the 3K to spend now. I had thought maybe a tribute to Senna and Honda F1 1991. Maybe a decal or two, perhaps complete allover 1991 F1 Honda branding. Shell, Marlboro, goodyear etc. White on the existing red. ALL REMOVABLE SHOULD IT BE NECESSARY.
    As a matter of interest the garage have asked that should I want to sell the car on then they have someone prepared to make it worth my while.

With respect the Honda dealership will likely not have great experience or interest or knowledge in providing your NSX for long term ownership, they are in it to make money. Therefore I'm with exiges1, using your budget for preventative maintenance on the CCU, amps and head unit, etc.

surely a good review of what mechanical works have been done in the past and then finding out by reading Kaz's blog and other refresh pages on here is the priority
    when i bought my car it went straight to Sudesh for Refresh work and making sure things that needed changed were changed.
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda

Welcome and wishing you good weather for that first drive home.

I do smile when I read these type of threads. Must be original, al OEM parts etc, then no sooner is the deal done the new owners want to remove the originality.

For me, I would take the above advice to ensure your NSX is sound and you complete the preventative maintanance as suggested. I recently saw a stunning 93 in fulll OEM spec ... it was hours away from a disaster as it was still running factory coolant pipes, they were VERY soft!

Once complete, spend any spare cash on driver training so you can put plenty of high quality miles into this NSX's history.

Good Luck, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Enjoy the first drive tomorrow, I'm sure you'll take the long route home! Let us know your initial thoughts after taking delivery.

This guys account is a good read,

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...t=Petrolicious

9. Default

Whilst i like the idea of a gleaming 100% OEM for a display car, if i lived with one i would have to make certain modifications for both aesthetic and driving reasons.

These would be:

- Quality coilover suspension (KW, Nitron etc.)
    - NSX-R roll bars and bracing parts
    - Larger wheels (Prodrive, Enkei, Volks, BBS etc.) and tyres
    - Aftermarket exhaust

Personally, i think you have to be very careful with the NSX. My biggest bugbear is seeing owners try to turn them into wannabe Ferraris. I would always want the car to look as if it could have been factory built.

Some examples...

http://nsxclubeurope.com/wp-content/...ans2013_35.jpg
    '02 Honda NSX [Garage Queen]
    '17 Huracan Performante [Weekend Car]
    '19 Porsche Macan [Daily]

Yuck! Big weelz are for German rubbish.

Merely a set of Advan AD08s. And get some driving training on a track day; it's unusual for anyone to be as good as the car is out of the box.

Save the rest in case something breaks.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast