Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas struts for engine bay

1. Default Gas struts for engine bay

Hi knowledgeable people
    I have just had my NSX MOT'd today with 2 advisories, one being the replacement of the battery (£95) and secondly that the gas struts on the engine bay need replacing (£280). Does anyone know the best place to source the 2 items or what the Honda codes are so I can search the web.
    Thanks for any help

2. Default

i believe the gas struts can be re-gassed (depending on condition of the struts etc)

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?720...s-Damper-Strut

may save you a bit of money

Blog Entries

Hi, Boomerjake.

For the battery, I don’t know whether your NSX is MT or AT model but just visit your local Honda garage.
    MT: 31500-SV2-011HE
    AT: 31500-SP0-031HE

Both are priced at GBP75 inc.VAT and comes with 3 years warranty.
    If you know the garage, you may be able to get some discount.

For the gas struts, before replacing them, you may want to consider sending them to SGS Engineering to have them re-gassed.
    http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/blog.php?1811...gs+engineering

Very helpful engineers and many NSX owners used them.
    If your strut is too worn to be re-gassed, they will inform you and then you can decide what to do.

Kaz

Update: just noticed that hkz286 was quicker than me......
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 31-07-2015 at 09:38 AM. Reason: added update section

MoT Advisories - battery and engine bay gas struts - where in the MoT testers hand book do they come from?
    Colour of paint or wear to the fluffy dice next.

I'm with Duncan!

Battery - how old? And do you use a conditioner (CTEK or similar)? Because unless you're finding cranking issues, I'd say ignore it...

Gas struts - as above - regas if you can, but first-off have a look, see if they seem to be a problem.
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

6. Default

Thanks guys for your help, I will replace the battery as I believe it to be 8 years old , on the struts they are not essential but will look at the links above
    Thanks

After reading this thread I decided to unbolt my weak glass hatch gas struts to send away for a service.

Removing them was simple enough but could someone please advise me how to remove the bracket that attaches the strut to the body as I believe it must be detached from the strut link as it's not shown fitted in Kaz's blog.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	12504   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	12505  
    Last edited by Pride; 02-08-2015 at 08:26 PM.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

New OEM struts for the rear glass come with the bracket already attached. Perhaps the picture in Kaz's blog is of boot struts and you can't separate the bracket from the rear glass strut.
    Btw if it helps, here's a useful write up of how to separate the ball stud from the boot strut. http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...ith-New-Struts. New glass struts come complete with the stud, but I guess the same procedure will work for getting the stud out of the glass strut, if you need to do that.

Peter
    1996 Green NSX-T manual

Do you even need to separate the stud and strut for SG Engineering to service them?

Quote Originally Posted by Pride View Post
    After reading this thread I decided to unbolt my weak glass hatch gas struts to send away for a service.

Removing them was simple enough but could someone please advise me how to remove the bracket that attaches the strut to the body as I believe it must be detached from the strut link as it's not shown fitted in Kaz's blog.

Thanks.
    As NSXGB suggests there is no need to separate the bracket when sending them to SGS, I'm certain I didn't especially if special tools are needed.

Rich

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast