Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas struts for engine bay

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post
    Do you even need to separate the stud and strut for SG Engineering to service them?
    It's not the stud end that concerns me but the other end which bolts down onto the engine bay body.

What worries me is if sgs decide they can't be serviced and need replacing will their replacements have the mounting brackets attached because if not I will have to get the extortionately priced Honda units.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	12506
    Last edited by Pride; 03-08-2015 at 11:16 AM.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Hi Kaz, I am about to post off my glass hatch struts to SGS today.

How do I ask them to increase the lift rate to allow a larger opening of the hatch which you have given yours.

Presumably it's a replacement strut with a longer throw, could you advise me as to what size I should ask for and does the base mounting bracket transfer from the origanol to the new as I couldn't see how to remove it from the strut itself.

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	100 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	12509

Thanks,
    Clive
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	88 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	12508  
    Pride.

2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

Blog Entries

Hi, Clive.

I have replied back to your comment posted in my blog so followings are the copy of it plus extra info.

As mentioned (in my blog), SGS sells the replacement new strut with many different spec.

Therefore, you will need to buy completely new strut + bracket + end fitting.
    Since you are sending in your existing OEM (strut + bracket + end fitting), just ask SGS to find the suitable combination for your application with extra pushrod length for the strut so that you can increase the opening angle.
    Don’t go too much as you need to take into consideration the hinge spec and the clearance of the hatch glass top edge against the roof panel.
    There will be a limit factor decided by the length and angle at the strut/bracket/end fitting as well.

For the end fitting, you could ask for the ball socket by measuring the existing OEM diameter and use the OEM ball stud as you may want to stay with dark colour and not shiny silver considering the surrounding area.

Obviously, re-gassing the OEM strut won’t allow you to increase the opening angle.

Kaz

Extra info;
    I haven't designed the replacement one using the parts from SGS so don't know the exact spec.
    SoS in US sells such item allowing extra opening angle.

For your reference, if you are happy to stay with the same opening angle, as the exchange rate is on our side, the OEM one from Japan is not too bad recently.
    I think it would be about GBP30 EACH before leaving Japan and that includes the strut+bracket+ball stud as a set.

Kaz

Cheers Kaz, great info as usual.

I will let you know what they say.
    Pride.

5. Default

Hi Guys
    Just so you know I have ordered a battery from the below which was only £65 delivered
    http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/

a stupid question, wondering whats the different between an AT & MT model battery? Are they supposed to be the same?
    NA6 + NA1

Usually automatic cars have a battery with a higher output. Don't really know why but guess it's something to do with the torque converter on an auto.

Quote Originally Posted by avcrx View Post
    a stupid question, wondering whats the different between an AT & MT model battery? Are they supposed to be the same?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post
    Usually automatic cars have a battery with a higher output. Don't really know why but guess it's something to do with the torque converter on an auto.
    It's not a stupid question, because you didn't know and bothered to find out...

Generally, slushboxes spend a lot of time at quite low RPM cruising around and the alternator might not reach peak RPM for a good charge when commuting in cold weather/wipers/lights on etc. Also, they're impossible to bump-start so a bit of extra reserve is handy.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Just refitted the SGS regassed struts to the glass hatch and now perfect again.
    Turn around time from posting to receiving back was 5 working days and cost was £17.50+vat each +p&p there and back so total £56
    Pride.

10. Default

good to hear!

did you go for the longer ones to open the glass hatch more?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast