Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small door dent removal: advice on the best approach needed.

Might check with Kaz on door construction and how the Al door might react to "paint less dent removal".

Cheers
    nigel

I had a couple of parking dings repaired when I bought Y1.

I was very concerned that, being aluminium, this may be a problem, but I spoke to a chap I knew (Simon Frost, father owned Frost's Jaguar) prior to purchase. Simon was was one of the first people to bring the paintless dent repair system into the UK and had worked on both my Prelude and S2000 previously with tremendous results.

He assured me that whilst working aluminium is significantly different to steel, he would be able to remove the dents.

I took Y1 to him and watched for a while.....when he got out a tool which for all the world looked like an ice axe and stated hitting the door with it I had to go outside!!!! However, Simon did a tremendous job, and explained he had been practicing on aluminium because of Jaguars increasing use of it in body panels. He didn't need to remove the door cards to repair my dents which were in similar locations to yours.

Simon no longer runs his dent removal business (and was based on the S. coast so no help to you anyway). Fortunately I haven't needed the services of a dent removal guy on Y1 in the last 10 years (touchwood) but now use a chap called Ryan Shakespeare on our more mundane cars (though I would have no hesitation letting him loose on Y1 if the worst happened). He is a very talented guy, and we have discussed the differences between steel and aluminium repairs a number of times. He says you must get the fix right first time - aluminium stretches and fractures - it wont take repeated working. Based on this, I would recommend finding someone who has plenty of experience of fixing dents in aluminium.
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Thank you for that response, good to know you've had this done without issue.

I've been to the local bodyshop which I trust as they have classic Ferraris worth millions plus the more 'normal' R8s, Skylines, etc. go through. Owner said they've a very good guy that comes to do it and he knew it was aluminium straight away. It'll be a couple of weeks until I take it in. Hopefully this guy will be very experienced.

i know how you feel. someone put a 5p size dent in my rx8 passenger door, near the front just behind where the side strakes on the front wing go. so its too awkward to get a bar behind to push it out. i have seen those glue gun dent pullers on ebay for small dents. supposed to be good, might get one and try it.

if its not too deep it might be a solution. but let the experts sort it out. i always park loads of spaces away from cars in car parks and still some berk manages to slam their door into the side.

Adding to an old post...

Last week I was clumsy enough to put a small dent in the front wing of my car while moving stuff around my garage. I used a local guy recommended to me, he did an amazing job, best £70 I've ever spent. If anyone in the Gatwick area would like his number, drop me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post
    Adding to an old post...

Last week I was clumsy enough to put a small dent in the front wing of my car while moving stuff around my garage. I used a local guy recommended to me, he did an amazing job, best £70 I've ever spent. If anyone in the Gatwick area would like his number, drop me a PM.
    I'm interested Simon, why not just post his details on this post and we can all call him as and when we need to.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12