Thread: Comptech supercharger- will it affect future value?

Default Comptech supercharger- will it affect future value?

Hi guys

i have been planning and working on fitting a (slightly more modern variant of ) comptech charger.

for those of you that have them and then have sold the car, did it affected the price you got?

for any of you that fitted them can I ask- did you find it worth it for what you gain? And did you consider the possible increase/ decrease in future market value as a result of fitting?

many thanks!

I still have my car and won't sell it in the near future I think. When I'll be dead I won't think about the resale value of materialised things.
    A CTSC (and I have to admit NSX-R gear ratios) definitely transforms the NSX, it's a different animal compared to a stock NA1/2 MT. It's well worth the high amount of money IMHO. I can't imagine going back.
    Resale value? Hard to tell. If there's a buyer who must have one of the fastest and legal NSX in Europe he might pay extra for it. Some people in the US sold the system separately while selling the car, some didn't. A good argument is that US dealers sold the system while still keeping Honda warranty.
    The actual CTSC version is no. III with a Lysholm unit.

It will exclude majority of buyers and only those who enjoys power hike and experienced it before on other cars (Scoobies,Evos, MR2s Supras etc) will be tempted....most will like the unmodified car or lesser modified car. This is why most in the US will put the car back to original and sell the SC kit and the car separately.
    There isn't enough FI NSX cars in the UK to test this. I know that I am going to keep my 2 and will not be returning to original anytime soon due to the extra power I am use to.....I did have a 3rd NA at the same time..car so the difference was very evident..hence was sold.
    I doubt many buyer will pay out enough to compensate for the cost of the SC install.

Just my opinion.

SS

Hagasan maybe able to give his opinion as he is the most recent addition....
    Last edited by Silver Surfer; 16-05-2015 at 10:45 PM. Reason: More to add
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

As most of today's 'sport' or 'fun'cars have 280+ hp people are used to power. There are up to 10 NSXs up for sale in my country, none of them CTSC. So a CTSC car will get more attention (hopefully not only by joydrivers). If I can get 1/3 of the costs of a CTSC back while selling the car with the system fitted I would be fine. Of course, I won't sell it for less than a comparable NON-CTSC car.
    A CTSC car needs more maintainance and more attention. If the buyer looked well after it and drove it seriously there's no reason not to buy it.

What about Porsches stock and Turbo cars? I have no idea but don't think Turbos sell less.

i would seriously consider an SC unit installed in my car ... but the costs are prohibitive for me personally.
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda

It transforms the NSX but, like anything it can cause increased wear.

Having personally installed and fined tuned one on one of my previous NSX, I would not hesitate in doing so. Just remember to change the SC oil and check it's level as well as use better oil in your car. You are asking your car to produce around 30 percent more power than it was intended to.

There was a couple of horror stories in the UK, but it was due to "tuners" learning on customers cars.

I installed my brand new CTSC kit last April. I did it all myself. I had the injectors cleaned by the people (ANSU) who distribute the injector cleaning equipment in the UK. Additionally I fitted a new fuel filter and had the car run on a dyno to check the air/fuel ratio.

My car already had a 6-speed gearbox and an NSX-R final drive. I had that lot fitted before I ever knew I would go supercharged. My "justification" as it were was that sports cars nowadays easily have over 300hp. Whilst the NSX is a great car to drive sometimes you just want a bit more oomph!! The extra power is great to have. I don't go booting the car around at all. I'm quite a "mechanically sympathetic" sort of driver. I don't do traffic light race starts but just use the extra power progressively. The attraction of the system for me was that in the US it is dealer approved and the warranty was never affected. On that basis I thought that the kit must be perfectly "safe" to fit and run.

I think like anything, if you thrash it it will eventually break. If you are considerate in it's use then there shouldn't be too many problems. From what I read the bottom end is pretty sturdy on these cars..It seems to be fairly reliable in the US. It's only when people start meddling with certain components of the basic system that they seem to run into problems.

Honda as far as I'm aware did test supercharged NSX's amongst their other configurations....

The one and only downside for me is that you love the lovely induction noise you hear in the cabin with the NA car. Apart from that I feel it's all positive.
    Last edited by Hagasan; 19-05-2015 at 12:48 PM.

very interesting to read your thoughts on the SC guys ... it definitely sounds like the best option for more power.
    its a pity that a kit costs so much including the hassle of getting one shipped over to here
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by Hagasan View Post
    It's only when people start meddling with certain components of the basic system that they seem to run into Problems.
    When people went high-boost/AEM I've heard several stories all over the world. The stock pistons seem to do not like having to cope with 400+ hp. I've heard very, very few stories with the standard low-boost setup, most of them date back to the Autorotor time. I've not heard of a Lysholm (v3) going boom or booming an engine in the low-boost config.
    Fuel and ignition related parts may have to be serviced/checked a little bit more frequently with a CTSC.
    Noise: I like the whine of the charger, it compensates for the lower induction noise of a NA. There's some mechanical rattling at idle to be fair.

Thanks for the responses guys.
    i know I'll probably keep my car indefinitely, so perhaps it was a moot point to ask about resale values, but the set up I'm looking at is to update the car in a way. Owing to maximise the car within the parameters within which it was designed, wheels tyres and brakes have been reasonably straightforward in bringing just more of the same, though the suspension is challenging, with the cars f/r spring rates and damper settings, but that's another story.
    re the engine the concept is an inter cooled rotrex supercharger, with the aim to provide all the benefits of the comptech unit whilst keeping more of the induction note, which is important to me, whilst running an intercooler for maintaining low intake temps and a more efficient and adjustable fuelling set up.
    its interesting and fun, though I am aware that I am no match for Hondas engineering might and could well **** it all up.....