Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 0 - 60 performance of automatic

1. Default

Phil,

just dug out my old mags and found this:
    Autocar Dec 1990 gives 0-60 of 5.8 for a manual car.
    Performance car April 1991 gives 5.3 for a manual car.
    Fast Lane March 1991 gives 5.7 for a manual car.
    Classic and Sportscar Oct 2014 gives 5.8 for a manual car and 7.3 for an automatic.
    hope this helps.
    phil

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Phil,

just dug out my old mags and found this:
    Autocar Dec 1990 gives 0-60 of 5.8 for a manual car.
    Performance car April 1991 gives 5.3 for a manual car.
    Fast Lane March 1991 gives 5.7 for a manual car.
    Classic and Sportscar Oct 2014 gives 5.8 for a manual car and 7.3 for an automatic.
    hope this helps.
    phil
    That's brilliant, thanks for looking those up.

I've been through my NSX library too!
    looked again at the Honda brochure and the 7.5 is 0-62mph not sure if the extra 2mph be the difference
    Apr 2005 Classic & sport car quote 0-60 7.3
    and June 2009 Octane say 0-60 6.8

Hi Phil, I don't really have much to offer here as I've never driven an auto, but let me just share a couple of quick thoughts on my experience. As an ex-NSX owner (albeit with the car still sitting in my garage) hopefully I'm reasonably unbiased.

I went from an S2000 to a facelift MT. I had both cars at the same time for about 4 months before I off-loaded the S2000, so could make some comparisons. Sure there were some similarities, but in brute performance terms, the NSX was soooo much faster and more dynamic than the S2000. FWIW, I actually preferred the gear change and steering on the S2000, but in every other respect, the NSX trounced it. The S2000 had a claimed 0-60 of sub 6 secs. Of course I never did a drag race, but I really wouldn't be surprised if my NSX was sub 5 secs. Take this with a pinch of salt though.

I had the clutch replaced on my NSX a year or so ago (with only 22k on the clock - shocking). This TOTALLY transformed the car. Beforehand, the CL was pretty stiff and heavy, but afterwards was so light and sweet. A well set-up MT is a real joy.

My daily driver has a DCT, which I just love for day-to-day driving. But for a car to enjoy over the weekends, for me, it HAS to be an MT. I'm convinced that one of the reasons why two years' worth of GT4s all sold out within 3 days of taking orders was because Porsche only offer an MT on them. Everyone's different, but if I were in your shoes, I would DEFINITELY hold off for an MT. NOTHING can replace the sheer pleasure of sweet manual gear changes eating up a winding country road. NOTHING. And for me, this was what NSX ownership was all about... as well as the sound of that V6, the forward view from the cockpit and the sheer 'place-ability' of the car.

HTH. And all IMHO of course.

Mani.
    2003-2011: S2000
    2011-2015: LBBP Coupe
    Present: 911 50th Anniversary Edition

I'd go with these, due to the 3.2 pre-facelift being the quickest! http://www.0-60specs.com/acura-nsx-0-60-times/

..Although most figures vary pretty wildly. Never driven an auto, so don't know if 0.6 slower for an auto is about right? If the auto shift was quick and smooth, i doubt you'll notice.. both will have the awesome V6 soundtrack and handling!
    '99 V70r
    '98 NSX

I've always assumed the 7.4/7.5s figures were wrong, and I'm confuddled by the lack of agreement.

When I first wondered about this (that same pre-purchase dilemma), I went looking for a Best Motoring video with an auto NSX, hoping they'd done the same sort of comparative NSX tests as they did with the Type R, Type S, NA1, NA2, etc. But I never found any BM video with an automatic properly tested. Which is a bit odd considering the number of autos sold in Japan.

0-60 times won't tell you much how the car cruises and reacts to the throttle. For cruising conditions all that counts is the right gearratio if the power is seen constant. An Auto has very long gearing. An early MT 91-93 also has quite long gearing (for a MT). At constant speed or slow accelerations you won't notice the differences (your test scenario) but if you overtake another car you definitly WILL.
    I cruise at low speed for 90% of the time but I would miss the spirited driven 10% in this car and would have sold it a few years ago. But again, that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by manisandher View Post
    Hi Phil, I don't really have much to offer here as I've never driven an auto, but let me just share a couple of quick thoughts on my experience. As an ex-NSX owner (albeit with the car still sitting in my garage) hopefully I'm reasonably unbiased.

I went from an S2000 to a facelift MT. I had both cars at the same time for about 4 months before I off-loaded the S2000, so could make some comparisons. Sure there were some similarities, but in brute performance terms, the NSX was soooo much faster and more dynamic than the S2000. FWIW, I actually preferred the gear change and steering on the S2000, but in every other respect, the NSX trounced it. The S2000 had a claimed 0-60 of sub 6 secs. Of course I never did a drag race, but I really wouldn't be surprised if my NSX was sub 5 secs. Take this with a pinch of salt though.

I had the clutch replaced on my NSX a year or so ago (with only 22k on the clock - shocking). This TOTALLY transformed the car. Beforehand, the CL was pretty stiff and heavy, but afterwards was so light and sweet. A well set-up MT is a real joy.

My daily driver has a DCT, which I just love for day-to-day driving. But for a car to enjoy over the weekends, for me, it HAS to be an MT. I'm convinced that one of the reasons why two years' worth of GT4s all sold out within 3 days of taking orders was because Porsche only offer an MT on them. Everyone's different, but if I were in your shoes, I would DEFINITELY hold off for an MT. NOTHING can replace the sheer pleasure of sweet manual gear changes eating up a winding country road. NOTHING. And for me, this was what NSX ownership was all about... as well as the sound of that V6, the forward view from the cockpit and the sheer 'place-ability' of the car.

HTH. And all IMHO of course.

Mani.
    Some really great views from a few of you and I do appreciate the time you've spent looking up figures in magazines and comments.

Mani's comment about the manual transmission echos my nagging doubt about the auto as when I was in the manual (original NA1 spec) I did turn to Graham and say, it's nice to be able to change gear.

I did hope one or two members may have known of a car or two that may have suited me but I've not had anything from my wanted add. It's difficult to know what a private sale price would be as only dealers have cars. It seems £35K last summer would have bought a nice manual privately but would that be now, 40,45,50? and how many good early cars still exist ? I'm sure that several must be hidden away but are they going to be £50K even privately, I simply cannot afford that. That's what I am also struggling with, and comes back to the comment I had from another helpful member and he said just wait for the bubble to burst.

Im not doing this to flip a car for profit, I'm doing this to get a car I dreamed of when I was 20.

Quote Originally Posted by philboo View Post
    the comment I had from another helpful member and he said just wait for the bubble to burst.
    Ask that member whether he's sold his own NSX to wait for the bubble to burst and buy another/better NSX for a far lower price. If he hasn't, take the advice with a pinch of salt.

(Says someone who's been waiting for various vintage guitar bubbles to burst for ages!)

No I haven't. But then I have the Supercar Siege, tour around Wales, and Silverstone Classic to do in it. After that lot you can have it for £55k if you like....
    MC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast